Thursday 9 September 2021

UK Charts Best Year Search: 1994

What's this all about?

Top 40

Best Song: The Prodigy - No Good (Start The Dance)

This was one of the records that got me into rave and is definitely one of the better Prodigy singles. It also reminds me of a time when I didn't really know what The Prodigy looked like, I originally bought "Music For The Jilted Generation" on tape where there was no picture of them or any mention of who was in the group. These were the days before Keith did any vocals and got that haircut.

Worst Song: Manchester United Football Squad - Come On You Reds

Football and music really don't go together and this record is proof of that. It's basically "Burning Bridges" by Status Quo with Man Utd players singing football lyrics. I wonder how many of those footballers actually like it.

Top 40 Review

If ever you needed proof that we look back at music from our day through rose tinted specs and forget about all the crap that was about then look no further than 1994.

Wet Wet Wet were a month into their long run at number one with "Love Is All Around" which is one of the records I actually like. It probably stayed at number one for so long because of the sheer quantity of crap in the charts.

Eurodance and reggae pop had a notable presence in the charts, most of it terrible but of the latter category I do like "Shine" by Aswad.

A former number one sliding down the charts I like is "Inside" by Stiltskin. Also sliding down the charts is East 17 with "Around the World" which is one of the many guilty pleasures of mine by the group.

Dance music wise, the only record I really like is "Carry Me Home" by Gloworm. Aaliyah makes her debut in this Top 40 with "Back & Forth". 

That's basically all the records I like in this Top 40. One that surprisingly got half marks was "I Can't Imagine The World Without Me" by Echobelly. I remember Echobelly and not particularly liking them but listening to that record I thought this isn't bad. That justifies why I listen to every record to give them a chance.

I never thought a 90s year would get a score as low as this, but it does. 

Score: 10.5

Table

Just the early 60s below 1994 in the table:




No comments:

Post a Comment