Thursday 30 September 2021

25 Years Since....September 1996

This time 25 years ago The Spice Girls were falling down the chart and I thought that would be the last we'd see of them. Here were the good tunes of the time:


Alisha's Attic - I Am, I Feel

The first thing I thought when I heard this record was that it sounded a bit like "Head Over Feet" by Alanis Morissette. But I thought both records were good in their own way. One memory I do have of this record is it appearing on the radio one morning when I was about to switch it off and go out, but instead I stayed and listened to it.

I've mentioned on this blog before that I became a big fan of Alisha's Attic and I guess this was the start of it.

Pet Shop Boys - Se A Vida E (That's The Way Life Is)

This record more or less sums up why I like to look back a lot at music from yesteryear. It's not just the fact the music was much better 25 years ago than now, which it was. But it's also the fact the world seemed such a better place back then because I was young and unaware of reality.

Listening to it now is bitter sweet. It makes me want to go back to 1996, but then I'm conscious that many of the people who make the world a shit place today were also around in 1996.

Way Out West - The Gift

This was my record of the year for 1996. A breakbeat record that you can both dance to and chill out to. Need I say anymore.

Space - Me And You Versus The World

Although I do like "Female Of The Species", I managed to resist it at the time with it being a brit pop record and me being a raver. However, I couldn't resist this their follow up.

I think I first heard it on the Big Breakfast when they used to extend it in the summer holidays. I certainly associate it with that time anyway. The lyrics are hilarious and it's delivered in a humorous fashion without sounding too cheesy. It's yet another tune that makes me wish it was 1996 again.


Sarah Cracknell - Anymore

I definitely first heard this record on the Big Breakfast. Sarah Cracknell was a guest on the show too. It hadn't really been that long since I'd first heard St Etienne and liked them, but I interpreted this Sarah Cracknell solo hit as St Etienne being no more. Fortunately that wasn't the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment