Thursday 26 August 2021

UK Charts Best Year Search: 1992

What's this all about?

Top 40

Best Song: Messiah - Temple Of Dreams

My 25 years since feature started off going back to 1992 and this record appeared in it. I wrote: It was that perfect combination of a dreamy sound with hardcore beats. Ok the beats may not sound so hardcore now, but back in 1992 they really did.

Worst Song: Mariah Carey - I'll Be There

Mariah Carey really did make some dreary crap, but the covers she did such as this are amongst the worst. I remember watching this on Top of the Pops and getting really irritated by it.

Top 40 Review

1992 was the year I was probably the biggest advocate for modern music. It was also the last year that I was both up to date and not devoted to a particular scene.

It was the most commercially successful year for rave music. In this chart we have the final Top 40 hit for Altern 8 with "Hypnotic St-8" and for Oceanic with "Controlling Me". There was also the only Top 40 hit for Urban Shakedown with "Some Justice". 

My favourite number one of all time is also in there which is "Game Boy" by KWS. This was the lesser known track of the double a-side with "Please Don't Go". Utah Saints are in there with "Something Good" and The Orb have the longest single to enter the Top 40 with "Blue Room" which is just under 40 minutes long. Londonbeat have their final hit with "You Bring On The Sun" which I was surprised to find only got to 32.

On the rock side of things the records I like are "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" by Guns N Roses, "Everything About You" by Ugly Kid Joe and "Motorcycle Emptiness" by Manic Street Preachers. 

Then there are other great tunes that are neither rave of rock such as "Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover" by Sophie B Hawkins, "Disappointed" by Electronic and "Hazard" by Richard Marx.

Of course there's also crap in there too. Take That are in there with their breakthrough hit "It Only Takes A Minute" and we also have Sinitta somehow still having hits with "Shame Shame Shame" and also Kim Wilde with "Heart Over Mind".

Fortunately the good stuff outweighs the crap plus we also have records such as "Good Stuff" by The B-52s which are OK and this is reflected in the overall score.

Score: 21.5

Table

The 90s are certainly the winning decade wise so far, not a surprise given it was my era:




No comments:

Post a Comment