Thursday 12 August 2021

UK Charts Best Year Search: 1990

What's this all about?

Top 40

Best Song: MC Tunes Vs 808 State - The Only Rhyme That Bites

I described this as the way dance and rap crossover music should be done, not the crap Pitbull and co have been doing in recent years. 

Worst Song: Bob Geldof - Great Song Of Indifference

I waffled quite a bit when I first reviewed this song, but it ended with me saying it's not much of a song really, more of a drunken open mike night.

Top 40 Review

Just over a year ago I reviewed the Top 30 of this chart here

There are records between 31 and 40 appear in other reviews of weeks when they were in the Top 30. The only one I've changed my mind about is the Phill Chill remix of "I'm Still Waiting" by Diana Ross. I let the original cloud my judgement but hearing the remix again on Top of the Pops made me realise it's a bloody awful remix.

What I will say is that whilst there are plenty of decent records in their, few if any are what I'd call truly great records. 

With a Top 30 score of 18.5 it's already going to be one of the better years. Only one record between 31 and 40 gets full marks which is "It's My Life by Talk Talk. A further 4 records get half marks.

Score: 21.5

Table

A great start to the 90s with 1990 in 2nd place:




No comments:

Post a Comment