Sunday 1 August 2021

Top 30 in 1991 Reviewed: Week 31

Here's my weekly look at the Top 30 from 30 years ago. The plan is for these posts to go out at 17:30 on a Sunday.

Here is the Top 40 in full.

Obviously some of the records will be the same as last week so therefore the review will be the same for these. I've indicated which ones are new so you can skip the others if you read last weeks post.

Once again my opinions are inevitably going to differ from other people, but I'm not trying to convince anyone something is good or rubbish, I'm simply giving my opinion.

So this is the top 30 from this week in 1991 with my verdict on each record:


This is Saint Etienne under a different name. It was before Saint Etienne had a Top 40 hit, but they decided it wasn't appropriate to release this style of record under the Saint Etienne name. It's perhaps a bit on the cheesy side, but still a decent enough record.

Verdict - Good


The Top 40 debut from Altern 8. The vocal sample is "I Know" by Candi Staton, the same one Tiga used on "You Gonna Want Me" and I'd more or less forgot about this record until I heard the Tiga one. Both records are great in their own way.

Verdict - Good


This is more up-tempo than his previous 2 hits and perhaps not as well known. I have the album so I'm not sure whether I remember this at the time. I do wonder whether this inspired the vocals for "Red Alert" by Basement Jaxx years later, there are similarities. 

Verdict - Good


We're definitely in the summer holidays now, this so reminds me of that summer. It topped the charts in America and did quite well here, but in this country at least it will always be their other hit. I loved this record though at the time and was one I started listening to again in the early days of YouTube, except I'd listen to it on Google Videos because it wasn't on YouTube.

Verdict - Good


The 2nd Top 40 hit from DJ Jazzy Jeff And The Fresh Prince which came around 5 years after their first. It's not as bad as your average Will Smith record, but whilst Jazzy Jeff is a decent enough DJ, Will Smith is a terrible rapper. It has potential, put a decent rapper on their we could have a decent tune. But it has Will Smith on it, therefore it's crap.

Verdict - Rubbish


This is surprisingly upbeat for a Morrissey record. I'm afraid it doesn't stop it from being boring though, I honestly thought from the intro I may be able to get into it but it gets boring very quickly.

Verdict - Rubbish


The 3rd of 5 Top 40 hits for Voice Of The Beehive and the 2nd best in my opinion. It was the lead single from their "Honey Lingers" album. My personal favourite was their final hit "Perfect Place" but that never made the Top 30.

Verdict - Good


Years ago I bought the greatest hits album from Londonbeat on the strength of "I've Been Thinking About You" and "You Bring On The Sun". They had 2 other Top 40 hits though, this being one of them. I don't remember it at the time, it's not as good as the 2 mentioned hits but still decent enough.

Verdict - Good


The final Top 40 hit to date from Kim Appleby which once again is co-written by former Bros bassist Craig Logan. Whilst her first 2 hits were dance orientated, this ones a slower number. I vaguely remember it and actually sounds better than I remember it, but still lacking a little something.

Verdict - OK


Robert Clivilles was the composer of this record, the same man behind C&C Music Factory alongside David Coles. Whilst the C&C Music Factory hits have been a bit crap, this record is excellent. It was the second and final Top 40 hit for Lisa Lisa And Cult Jam, their first came back in 1985. They were big in the freestyle scene in America and scored two number ones, but never had much impact over here although their 2 UK Top 40 hits did chart higher here than they did in America.

Verdict - Good


The Top 40 debut for Incognito who formed in 1979. When I saw Incognito at their 35th anniversary concert their main man Bluey said that this record allowed them to make a living from the band. I've only recently discovered this is a cover, it was originally by Side Effect in 1976.

Verdict - Good


The second and final UK Top 40 hit for DJH ft Stefy. It doesn't sound that different to their first, the main riff is basically the same but on a different instrument. The samples are different too, "Cloud 9" by The Temptations is one that stands out. I liked the first hit and given its similarities without sounding like an exact clone, I like this one too.

Verdict - Good


Not sure I learned the title of this until later on in life. I didn't think the word chorus appeared in the song but it does once. I always remembered this one as the fishes in the sea song. Like with most Erasure records, this ones pretty good.

Verdict - Good


Believe it or not, this was the debut Top 40 hit for Frankie Knuckles. He was one of the earlier pioneers of house music, but none of those early house records made the Top 40. This is the sort of tune that could have sounded awful if not done right, but this is Frankie Knuckles so of course it was done right, a good amount of whistle without it taking over the record.

Verdict - Good


The second Top 40 hit for Kenny Thomas and his only Top 10. This is the song he's best known for. I must have seen this on The Chart Show at some point because it's making me want to watch an episode. I'd also say the fact this reminds me of the good old days of 1991 and watching The Chart Show means I quite like it.

Verdict - Good


This isn't a cover of the Isley Brothers record, it's a Ricky Ross composition. I'd forgotten what this was called, something that irritated me when I heard it for the first time in years in 2004. Its a great record, one of the better Deacon Blue ones.

Verdict - Good


This was my record of the year for 1991. It's such a great record all I can say is give it a listen if you haven't already.

Verdict - Good


This was originally the follow up to her debut hit "C'mon and Get My Love" but failed to make the Top 40 when released in 1989. It once again failed to make the Top 40 again in 1990, but 3rd time lucky it got into the Top 40 finally in 1991. Her debut was credited to D Mob with Cathy Dennis, but although D Mob co-wrote and provided backing vocals to this it's credited to just Cathy Dennis. It's simple no nonsense pop music.

Verdict - Good


I remember being at some kids club on holiday at the time and we had to dance along to this multiple times. I thought why, this song is fuckin shit. My opinion still hasn't changed.

Verdict - Rubbish


I remember the video for this appearing on Top of the Pops and the presenter saying that Ian Rush would be in the video, but he wasn't. This was 30 years ago say I may have misremembered or misunderstood what was said. It's not a bad record.

Verdict - OK


Diane Warren is back to songwriting duties for Cher after the god awful "The Shoop Shoop Song (It's In His Kiss)". It's an improvement, but that's not saying much really.

Verdict - Rubbish


The first Top 40 hit from the "Use Your Illusion" albums, this one coming from the second one. If you love screaming your head off at karaoke like I do then this is a great one to sing. The bit at 4 minutes 15 seconds into the song is particularly good to sing.

Verdict - Good


A cover of the Stacy Lattisaw song, this is probably the best known Dannii Minogue hit from this particular era. That doesn't mean it's any good though.

Verdict - Rubbish


Another Top 10 hit for OMD with just Andy McCluskey in the group. The lyrics are described as dealing with the less glamourous side of celebrity which is quite ironic from the man who introduced the world to Kerry Katona. I won't let that fact cloud my judgement of this record though.

Verdict - Good


The final number one for Jason Donovan. It was taken from "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" which he was starring in at the time. By the time I saw it a couple of years later he'd been replaced by Phil Schofield. Anyway, like pretty much every other song from a musical it's shit.

Verdict - Rubbish


There are some records that I really cannot stand, ones that just irritate me and make me angry. This is one of those records. I don't know what it is, maybe the stupid lyrics has something to do with it.

Verdict - Rubbish


I've always know this record to be by The Shamen but don't remember hearing of them until "Ebeneezer Goode" which was just over a year later. Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me. It was after the shooting of this video that member Will Sinnott died. 

Verdict - Good


This is one of a number of records Bryan Adams stopped from topping the charts. It's American rap music, but it doesn't sound out of place amongst the British dance records that were coming out at the time. 

Verdict - Good


The song everyone knows Extreme for, so much so that people don't realise they're a rock band. This didn't go down well with the purists, ballads were very much frowned upon but an acoustic ballad was viewed as criminal. I'm not a purist though, I do think Extreme have better songs but I've always quite liked this one even if I haven't always admitted it.

Verdict - Good


Summer holidays are on the way, this so reminds me of the summer holidays of 1991 where it was number one the whole time and beyond. Quite remarkable for a 31 year old 80s singer who'd failed to even make the Top 40 with most of his prior singles. I got pretty sick of this at the time like most people, but I actually quite like it.

Verdict - Good

If we give the records which were good 1 point each and those which were OK half a point, the final score is 22/30, or 73%. The joint best Top 30 since the beginning of 1990.

No comments:

Post a Comment