Thursday 29 April 2021

UK Charts Best Year Search: 1975

What's this all about?

Top 40

Best Song: The Chi-Lites - Have You Seen Her

This was my record of the year for 1972 which was re-issued as a double a-side with "Oh Girl". It was a close contest though with "Autobahn" by Kraftwerk which I remembered being my record of the year for 1975, but I looked at my old posts and it turns out it wasn't. 

Worst Song: Typically Tropical - Barbados

I've always considered this song to be a bit crap, the only good thing about it is that it's better than "Summer Holiday" by Cliff Richard. Over the years though it's started to irritate me more, firstly because of that god awful Vengaboys cover that was reworded to be about Ibiza and secondly because when it comes to Barbados and music you can't help but think of Rihanna, which is never a good thing.

Top 40 Review

No Motown this week. We do have former Motown act Gladys Knight And The Pips with "The Way We Were", not my cup of tea though. We have Philly soul group The Stylistics with "Sing Baby Sing" that gets the thumbs up, the other soul record is "Walking In Rhythm" by Blackbyrds which is ok.

A couple of decent disco records in "The Hustle" by Van McCoy and "Mama Never Told Me" by Sister Sledge which is one of their more obscure records. Once again none of the glam rock records are to my liking.

One of the best 70s records is the number one record "I'm Not In Love" by 10cc and could have been the best song contender if I hadn't heard it so many times in my life. 

The surprise song that I like comes from The Osmond's with "The Proud One". Pretty much everything else I've heard from any Osmond has been crap, but there's something about this one.

The obligatory old record re-entering the charts comes from Brian Hyland with "Sealed With A Kiss", a record I like. Tammy Wynette has 2 records in the Top 40 with "Stand By Your Man" and "DIVORCE" which were both 7 year old records, but they hadn't charted previously. Neither are to my liking though.

I think the best way to describe this Top 40 is there's some genuinely good records in there but you have to sift through the crap to get to them. It's a slight improvement on 1974, but the notable different is that there's 2 re-issued records that get full marks from me this time vs just 1 re-issued record with full marks in 1974. The result is 1975 gets 1 more point.

Score: 13.5

Table

1975 is tied with 1964 and slightly better than 1963:








No comments:

Post a Comment