Thursday 15 April 2021

UK Charts Best Year Search: 1973

What's this all about?

Top 40

Best Song: Linda Lewis - Rock-A-Doodle-Doo

When I was picking a record of the year for each year, this was my pick for 1973. I've not changed my mind, so clearly this has to be the best song in this Top 40. The main difference between this and most of the other soul records we've seen so far is that it's British. 

Worst Song: Peters And Lee - Welcome Home

In the early days of YouTube I got out my British Hit Singles book and played every number one I'd never heard before. There were some good ones in the 60s but it got a bit crap in the 70s. When I reached this song I recalled they had a 60s number one which was quite good so this may be too. I was bitterly disappointed, then I realised I was getting them mixed up with Peter & Gordon. For that reason, this stands out a little.

Top 40 Review

A mixed bag from Motown in this Top 40, we have good records in "Way Back Home" by Junior Walker And The All Stars and "Hallelujah Day" by The Jackson 5, but I don't like "You Are The Sunshine Of My Life" by Stevie Wonder. There's more Philly soul from The Stylistics with "Peek-A-Boo" and other good soul records in "Step By Step" by Joe Simon and "Pillow Talk" by Sylvia. 

Two former Beatles are in this chart, George Harrison with "Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)" and Paul McCartney And Wings with "Live And Let Die". There's also former Marmalade singer Junior Campbell in the chart with "Sweet Illusion". Albert Hammond, a member of Family Dogg who did the best song in the 1969 chart, is also in there with "The Free Electric Band". All good records in my opinion.

Sticking with the 60s connection, Fleetwood Mac are back in the charts with a re-issue of "Albatross". This one also gets the thumbs up from me.

Glam rock rules the charts this week with Slade at number one and former number ones by Suzi Quatro and Wizzard in there amongst several other glam rock songs. None of them get full marks from me but some get half.

Disco music is another genre associated with the 70s, one that spawned some decent tunes and some really dreadful tunes. The two records in this Top 40, "I'm Gonna Love You Just A Little Bit More Baby" by Barry White and "Armed And Extremely Dangerous" by First Choice. Neither are dreadful but I can't say I particularly like them either.

The only record I'm yet to mention that gets full marks is "Frankenstein" by The Edgar Winter Group. Add a few half mark records to that and we get a now familiar looking score. Soul music and 60s connections make up a large proportion of it, but that's what was in the charts.

Score: 14

Table

1970 remains the best year of the 70s so far whilst there's nothing between the rest of the 70s years:







No comments:

Post a Comment