Friday 30 April 2021

25 Years Since....April 1996

Time once again to turn the clock back 25 years and take a look at some of the records I was enjoying at the time:


Gat Decor - Passion


I had a jungle compilation in 1994 and one of the tunes had the "everyday you teach me more and more" sample in it. 

That made this tune grab my attention. It's a remix of a 1992 record and those lyrics can also be found in "Do You Want It Right Now" by Degrees of Motion.

Ken Doh - Nakasaki (I Need A Lover Tonight)



This tune appeared in what seemed like every other essential mix in 1995. Then in 1996 some vocals were put on it and it made the Top 40.

If you've read this blog enough times you'll probably know I'm not a fan of vocals in dance music and think they often turn a decent tune shit.

Whilst I do prefer this as an instrumental I think this is nearly as good with the vocals.

Baby D - Take Me To Heaven


This was the final original Top 40 hit for Baby D. Admittedly this is my least favourite of them, but that's more to do with how good the other Baby D tunes are.

Things in the rave scene moved so fast in the 90s that this record sounded really out of date when it charted. The scene had split into hardcore and drum & bass and the music had sped up a lot which made this record seem very slow.

But old skool was the roots of what we were listening to so that was no bad thing.


Interactive - Forever Young


A tune from 1994 that didn't chart until 1996. Like with every Happy Hardcore record that made the Top 40 in the 90s that wasn't by Technohead, this was German, the same nationality of Alphaville who's record of the same title provided the sample for this.

Around the same time there was another happy hardcore tune called "Forever Young" by Antisocial but that's a completely different tune.


Technohead - Happy Birthday

The obscure other Technohead Top 40 hit. I didn't know this one myself until it charted and don't think I heard it on any of my rave tapes.

Since then it's been my alternative way of wishing someone a happy birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment