Sunday 4 April 2021

Top 30 in 1991 Reviewed - Week 14

 Here's my weekly look at the Top 30 from 30 years ago. The plan is for these posts to go out at 17:30 on a Sunday.

Here is the Top 40 in full.

Obviously some of the records will be the same as last week so therefore the review will be the same for these. I've indicated which ones are new so you can skip the others if you read last weeks post.

Once again my opinions are inevitably going to differ from other people, but I'm not trying to convince anyone something is good or rubbish, I'm simply giving my opinion.

So this is the top 30 from this week in 1991 with my verdict on each record:

30. Inspiral Carpets - Caravan (New)

This was the only Top 40 hit from their second album. I remember this appearing on Top of the Pops and thinking what a name for a song. I also remember Tom Hingley singing this with his hands in his pockets, I watched the YouTube clip of that very performance just to be sure and I remembered correctly.

Verdict - Good


29. The Rolling Stones - Highwire

An anti-war record by the Rolling Stones which was released the day after the Gulf War ended. It's not a bad record but far from the best thing the Rolling Stones have ever done.

Verdict - OK


28. Jive Bunny And The Mastermixers - Over To You John (Here We Go Again) (New)

Yes it's Jive Bunny in 1991 but fear not, this would be the last we'd see of Jive Bunny in the Top 40. What can I say other than it's a bunch of old songs in a megamix like all the other Jive Bunny songs. 

Verdict - Rubbish


27. Xpansions - Move Your Body (Elevation)

The short lived 1990 girl group Faith Hope & Charity is a name known to people as what TV presenter Dani Behr did before The Word. What perhaps isn't as well known was that fellow group member Sally Ann Marsh provided vocals for this record. It's one of those dance anthems I've probably heard too many times to get excited about, but it's still a decent record.

Verdict - Good


26. Black Box - Strike It Up (New)

I used to like this until I bought their greatest hits when I realised just how annoying the singing is on Black Box tunes in general, but particularly on this one. Also the rapping is cringeworthily bad. We all know the singer we saw in Black Box was different to the singer who actually sang and the more I think about that the more I think why?

Verdict - Rubbish

25. Simpsons - Do The Bartman

This was my first introduction to The Simpsons, but I had no idea what it was all about. In those day's you could only get The Simpsons on Sky One, and I never had Sky at the time, neither did a lot of people. It wasn't until I went on holiday later on that year where Sky One was the only English channel in the hotel room, that I discovered The Simpsons was a TV show. It's a novelty song, which basically means crap, but intended to be crap. Its still crap though.

Verdict - Rubbish

24. REM - Losing My Religion

REM were more than a decade into their existence by this point, but their only UK Top 40 hit to date had been "Orange Crush" which was a minor hit 2 years earlier. They would have 6 Top 40 hits in 1991 though, some old and some new. This was the first of these which was a new one. I don't mind this record but its not one to get excited about. 

Verdict - OK


23. The Source - You Got The Love

There's been lots of versions of this record over the years. This isn't the original, but was the first version to make the Top 40. My personal favourite is the 1997 version, but this ones good too.

Verdict - Good


22. Simpsons - Deep Deep Trouble (New)

The 2nd Top 40 hit from the Simpsons which entered the Top 40 before "Do the Bartman" had dropped out. My memories of this record was thinking great video but rubbish song. I've since discovered this was written by Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince which explains a lot.

Verdict - Rubbish


21. C&C Music Factory ft Freedom Williams - Here We Go (New)

This is the classic music act has a big hit and then follow it up with a record that sounds pretty much the same. You really could just sing "Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)" over the top of this.

Verdict - Rubbish


20. Scritti Politti ft Shabba Ranks - She's A Woman

This Beatles cover completely passed me by at the time. To me, 1991 seems too late for Scritti Politti and too early for Shabba Ranks. It just so happens this was the last Top 40 hit for Scritti Politti and the Top 40 debut for Shabba Ranks. Seems a bit of an odd collaboration but I actually quite like it.

Verdict - Good


19. N-Joi - Anthem (New)

This was originally released in 1990 but didn't make the Top 40 until it was reissued in 1991. Not sure whether anthem bashing was a thing at the time, but a title like that is almost pleading for it to be played in the many anthem bashing sets that would come later on. Still a decent tune though.

Verdict - Good


18. Stevie B - Because I Love You (The Postman Song)

Freestyle music was massive in America in the late 80s/early 90s, but barely got a look in over here. One of the key figures in the freestyle scene, Stevie B, did manage a solitary Top 40 hit over here though with a ballad that isn't really freestyle at all. This is one of those records I loved at the time and still like it today for that very reason.

Verdict - Good


17. Definition Of Sound - Wear Your Love Like Heaven

The first of 3 Top 40 hits for Definition Of Sound. You can hear a lot of De La Soul influence in this one but they have enough of their own stamp on it to not sound like a De La Soul clone. 

Verdict - Good

16. Banderas - This Is Your Life

This has nothing to do with the TV show of the same name. Banderas were backing singers in the Communards and this was their only Top 40 hit. It's one of those records I could take or leave at the time, but listening to it now for the first time in 30 years I can appreciate it a lot more. It's good advice that I should probably take myself at times.

Verdict - Good


15. Dannii Minogue - Love And Kisses (New)

First we had Kylie Minogue appear on Neighbours before becoming a singer. Then her sister Dannii Minogue starting appearing on Home & Away so it seemed almost inevitable that she'd end up being and singer too and here she is with her Top 40 debut. It was also inevitable that her music would be crap, which it is.

Verdict - Rubbish

14. Gary Clail On-U Sound System - Human Nature

I've not heard this one for a very long time. What strikes me hearing it again after all this time is how slow it is, I remember it being quicker than this. Fortunately I no longer have that mindset that a record must be fast in order to be good so therefore I like it. I still think it would be better if it was a bit quicker though.

Verdict - Good


13. The Clash - Should I Stay Or Should I Go

The Clash had never had a Top 10 hit prior to this, but then thanks to the Levi's advert they managed to score a number one. It was also up against Madonna in the battle of re-released old singles which it would eventually win. It's definitely the better out of the two in my opinion.

Verdict - Good


12. Feargal Sharkey - I've Got News For You

I remember this appearing on Top of the Pops. Feargal Sharkey's hair was mostly covering his face during the intro so I found it hilarious that the first line of the song was "I can see clearly". Then when I heard there was a TV show called "Have I Got News For You" this song sprang to mind. It was shortly after this that Feargal Sharkey retired from singing completely. It's not the best if I'm completely honest, but the fond memories I have of said Top of the Pops appearance means I can just about declare this ok.

Verdict - OK


11. The Waterboys - The Whole Of The Moon (New)

This originally came out in 1985 but was rereleased in 1991 ahead of their upcoming greatest hits album and ended up being their biggest hit. This is one of those records I've heard plenty of times without really taking any notice, but listening to it just now I realise that I quite like it.

Verdict - Good


10. Snap! - Snap! Megamix

After what seemed like loads of Snap! hits in 1990 (for the record there were 4), in 1991 they give us a megamix. It would be over a year until we'd see them back in the Top 40 so I guess this was a farewell for now type record. Not for me though.

Verdict - Rubbish


9. Hale And Pace And The Stonkers - The Stonk

A novelty record made for Comic Relief which is predictably crap. As it's for charity though it can be any old rubbish and people will buy it.

Verdict - Rubbish


8. Quartz ft Dina Carroll - It's Too Late 

A cover of the Carole King song and the first version that I heard. On that basis this one seems more like the original to me. I've not heard it many years and remember it being a lot more uplifting than it actually is, but I still like it.

Verdict - Good


7. Simple Minds - Let There Be Love

Not the best known Simple Minds song but it was their second biggest hit. The fact Simple Minds were a big name and this was the lead single from their yet to be released the album no doubt helped. I remember Simple Minds having hits around this time without really remember the songs themselves. I was therefore ready to write this one off as being boring, but listening to it now it's actually not bad.

Verdict - OK


6. Pet Shop Boys - Where The Streets Have No Name/Can't Take My Eyes Off You / How Can You Expect To Be Taken Seriously? 

This is a double a-side, the first being a mash up of the 2 songs listed. Regular readers of this blog will know that Pet Shop Boys are one of my all time favourites. I also consider them one of the best in the business at doing covers. It may therefore surprise you to see that I consider the mash up to be rubbish. It just doesn't work for me and is probably my least favourite Pet Shop Boys single. It is however redeemed by "How Can You Expect To Be Taken Seriously?" which is much more like it.

Verdict - Rubbish Good


5. The Bee Gees - Secret Love 

The first time I remember hearing the Bee Gees was in 1989 when I saw "One" on The Chart Show. That record only made number 71. I also remember seeing "When He's Gone" on The Chart Show in 1991, but that never made the charts at all. They did have a solitary Top 40 hit around this time though with this record. It sounds like "Chain Reaction" by Diana Ross, but there was no chance of them getting sued for copyright as the Gibb brothers wrote that. I'm not keen on "Chain Reaction" so therefore I'm not keen on this. 

Verdict - Rubbish


4. Roxette - Joyride 

The lead single from their album of the same name. One thing that stood out to me from this video was Marie Frederiksson playing the guitar. I did wonder whether she was really playing the guitar so looked this up and it doesn't look like she did. It also looks like Per Gessle didn't play guitar on the song either, it was Jonas Isacsson playing it. I don't think I really liked this at the time, but like most Roxette songs I got to like it with age.

Verdict - Good


3. Rod Stewart - Rhythm Of My Heart

I was aware that Rod Stewart had a song called "Sailing" and at the time I thought this was it given it was the last word of the chorus. Like "Sailing" though, this is also a cover and like every Rod Stewart cover I've heard, its shit.

Verdict - Rubbish

2. James - Sit Down

At the time I thought the band Hello James had shortened their name to just James. Turns out I was thinking of Halo James who were a completely different band. This is one of those records everybody seems to like except me. To me it manages to be both annoying and boring at the same time.

Verdict - Rubbish

1. Chesney Hawkes - The One And Only 

Believe it or not, I've actually seen Chesney Hawkes in concert. He played at the students union at university one Saturday night. The set consisted of a bunch of covers, then he announced he was going to play his last single, not this one though, one that never made the charts. After a few more covers he played this at the end of the set to a massive cheer. It is a bit crap though, but it found it's place at many cheese nights. 

Verdict - Rubbish


If we give the records which were good 1 point each and those which were OK half a point, the final score is 16/30, or 53%. Quite good when you consider some of the crap that's entered this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment