Thursday 28 January 2021

UK Charts Best Year Search: 1962

What's this all about?

Top 40

Best Song: B Bumble And The Stingers - Nut Rocker

Not only is this the best record in this Top 40, it's the only record I've given a rating of 1 to. When there was a ridiculous ITV show a few years ago when the nation picked their favourite number one but could only pick from a set list chosen by 'experts', I attempted to compile my own Top 60 and this was in it.

Worst Song: Mike Sarne With Wendy Richard - Come Outside

Years before the likes of Nick Berry and Anita Dobson were having hit, there was another Eastender who had a number one. OK it was long before the show existed, but maybe the songwriters looked to this record to establish that a soap actors record must be a novelty one. This one is truly irritating.

Top 40 Review

We're now a little over 3 months away from the Beatles making their debut. Judging by this Top 40 that really needed to happen.

One record that was almost inevitably going to appear at some point was "Stranger on the Shore". It spent 55 consecutive weeks in the Top 50 and only 3 of them were outside of the Top 40. This was the week it did appear having first charted towards the end of 1961 and was one of the records I thought was OK.

We also had a version by Andy Williams hit its peak of number 30 in this weeks chart. I would say this is the 60s equivalent of putting vocals on an instrumental dance record that I find really irritating. To be fair Andy Williams can sing, but this should just be left without vocals in my opinion.

A record I was expecting to give a 1 to was "Soldier Boy" by the Shirelles, but on listening to it I found it not to be as good as I remember it being so gave it half marks instead.

There was "Our Favourite Melodies" by Craig Douglas, a record I'd previously heard and found ridiculous. However despite this I didn't mind it when I listened so gave this one half marks.

There's little more I can really say, a lot of the music was just a non-entity to me. I listen to each Top 40 in its entirety so even the songs I'm 99% certain I don't like get a chance to convince me otherwise, but it was a rather painful experience listening to this one generally speaking.

As you'd expect, the score isn't great.

Score: 5

Table

1960 remains on top and unsurprisingly 1962 is bottom. I expect 1960 to be knocked off the top soon, but 1962 could stay bottom for a while:



No comments:

Post a Comment