Thursday 21 January 2021

UK Charts Best Year Search: 1961

What's this all about?

Top 40

Best Song: Del Shannon - Runaway

The record that was at number one this particular week was the best Top 40 hit that week in my opinion. It was the debut hit for Del Shannon and is one that I've known for as long as I can remember. It's the "wa wa wa wa wonder" bit the does it for me, I suspect I'm not alone in that.

Worst Song: Ken Dodd - Once In Every Lifetime

Ken Dodd was best known for being a comedian, but he also had a Top 40 career that gave him 18 hits between 1960 and 1975. This was the second of those. Unlike pretty much every other comedian to have a hit, his songs weren't novelty records. They were more along the lines of easy listening and country, resulting in some pretty dull records from a non-musician.

Top 40 Review

I remember having to pick a record of the year for 1961 when I was doing my yearly chart reviews and finding it quite a difficult task. I wouldn't go as far to say I didn't like any Top 40 hit of 1961, but there weren't any records that made me think wow what a tune.

Four acts had 2 Top 40 hits at the same time for this particular week, Elvis Presley, Cliff Richard, Andy Stewart and Temperance Seven. The only record in this chart from that quartet which I like is "Wooden Heart" by Elvis Presley which is probably my favourite record of his.

It does very much seem like the 50s are fizzling out but the 60s are yet to begin. The more traditional pop sounds from the early 50s have all but gone but the late 50s are still there with the likes of Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran and Jerry Lee Lewis having hits.

One of the hidden gems in there is "I've Told Every Little Star" by Linda Scott. Not a name you've perhaps heard of, I hadn't either. It was her only hit which was a cover from a musical song from the 1930s. Don't let that put you off though, its a good piece of pop music.

Much like 1960 last week, I was actually surprised at how high 1961 has scored given all I knew about the year beforehand. I do still think the 60s were crying out for the Beatles by this point and it isn't what you would call a high score.

Has it beaten 1960?

Not quite, it was close but 1961 has ended up with 1 point less.

Score: 8.5

Table

1960 remains on top but there's a long way to go.




No comments:

Post a Comment