Sunday 31 January 2021

25 Years Since....January 1996

I've decided there were enough good tunes to keep this going in 1996, here's what I was enjoying in January:


Dubstar - Not So Manic Now
 
Although "Not So Manic Now" is the most logical title for this tune, I'm more inclined to call it "I was making myself the usual cup of tea". I remember someone describing this record as strange at the time, I don't see it myself but then maybe that's why I like it.

Dreadzone - Little Britain

This was the only Top 40 hit for one of my favourite music acts of all time. This is where it all began for me, though they were on their 2nd album by this point. They're still going strong 25 years later with plenty of top tunes to their name.

Baby D - So Pure


Baby D are of course best remembered for chart topper "Let Me Be Your Fantasy". A great record, but as far as singles go at least, this ones my favourite. The fact I only hear it when I play it of my own accord probably helps, but even at the time I remember preferring this one.


Goldbug - Whole Lotta Love


This was a cover of the Led Zeppelin tune. Its an example of a cover being a million times better than the original. I'm not a fan of the original, but sometimes turning something into a dance record makes all the difference.

It was the only Top 40 hit for Goldbug. Singer Sandra McKenzie has seemingly fallen on hard times since, but the articles I've read do contradict each other. A 2008 article states that she thought she'd finally made it when this record charted but she didn't receive a penny for it. A 2018 article says that she had made millions and had properties around the world but has now lost it all. 

Goldbug did have a follow up single with a different singer that I remember being performed on The Girlie Show but it never made any impact and that was that.


The Chemical Brothers - Loops Of Fury


I had a bit of a love/hate relationship with The Chemical Brothers in the 90s. I was very much into them at this point, but once they started having number ones I started hating them for being too commercial. This record made number 13 and fell out the charts the following week.

No comments:

Post a Comment