Saturday 26 October 2019

My 25 Favourite Albums: Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle


Like with several of the albums that feature in the series, this is an album I bought quite some time after it was released. In 1993 when this album came out I was into grunge, then in the mid to late 90s I was into rave. Throughout this time I did like the odd rap record, but it wasn't a genre I really played close attention to.

In the year 2000 that all changed. I was one of many people jumping on the Eminem bandwagon. This lead me on to listening to other rappers, and Snoop Dogg was one of these.

The first Snoop Dogg album I bought was "Tha Last Meal" which was his latest album at the time. When playing it in my car, a mate asked if I owned "Doggystyle", which I didn't, so he gave me a copy of it. I eventually bought the CD when I got a CD player in my car.

It's actually a pretty close call as to whether I prefer "Doggystyle" to "Tha Last Meal", but "Doggystyle" just about pips it.

The best way to listen to the album is to skip the intros and got straight onto track 3 which is "Gin & Juice". The other hits from the album are "Doggy Dogg World" and the one everyone knows, "Who Am I".

The non singles though are probably better. You have "Lodi Dodi" which is essentially a cover of "La Di Da Di" by Doug E Fresh. There's also "Gz and Hustlas" which is preceded by a skit of a teacher asking kids what they want to be when they grow up, when he asks a young Snoop he say's "I wanna be a motherfuckin hustla, ya betta ask somebody". The voice of young Snoop was a then unknown rapper Bow Wow.

The highlight of the album though has to be "Ain't No Fun (If the Homies Can't Have None)". This is the first I remember Nate Dogg singing on a verse as well as the chorus. It also features Kurupt and Warren G. It's one of the only rap tunes where I know all the lyrics and have rapped it many times, but am yet to find it on a karaoke playlist.

No comments:

Post a Comment