Thursday 31 October 2019

25 Years Since....October 1994

It's that time again to go back 25 years to 1994 and take a look at the music I was enjoying back then:

Lisa Loeb And Nine Stories - Stay (I Missed You)


We've reached the period I was in transition from a grunger to a raver. A side effect of that is that I was also enjoying songs that were neither, such as this.

I found the intro got me hooked immediately, but the whole song is great.

It was the only Top 40 hit by Lisa Loeb, and indeed the only song I've ever heard of hers. But I think it's best kept that way.


The Prodigy - Voodoo People


By this point some grungers were saying the only rave they like is The Prodigy. That was basically because of this tune which featured the guitar.

I was still keeping my new found love for rave music under wraps at this point, but it came as a bit of a relief that I could openly admit to liking this tune and not be subject to criticism.

This tune really set the benchmark for the future Prodigy material that made them global superstars which is evident in this being the oldest tune you're pretty much guaranteed to hear at a Prodigy concert.


East 17 - Steam


Regular readers of this blog will know I like East 17 even if I never admitted it at the time. I also think pretty much all their singles so far have featured in this series of posts.

This record though took them to another level. Singles wise this is the best one they've ever done. I thought as a grunger I couldn't admit to liking this song, but as a raver I probably could. I never actually did until years later when I stopped caring what people thought.

This is also a karaoke favourite of mine, if it's on the list I'm singing it.


Nightcrawlers - Push The Feeling On


I remember watching this video. You had lots of strange looking people enter the photo booth, but then the last one to walk in was an ordinary looking bloke with long hair. Not only did I think the bloke with long hair was a bit out of place for looking normal, but I also thought long hair equalled rock music, and this was a dance record.

I was therefore amazed to see the bloke with long hair was the bloke singing it, though in hindsight it makes a lot of sense.

It didn't start out as a dance record though. It was basically a pop song with verses and a chorus that never got very far. This is a remix by MK which takes most of the vocals away. I remember watching a programme where they were talking about this record around the turn of the century and somebody asked the question where is MK now? We know these days he's making EDM crap, but once upon a time he was good.

Ace Of Base - Happy Nation

Whatever sort of music I was into at the time, I always enjoyed a bit of Ace Of Base.

What I do find quite surprising is that this record only made number 40. That was after it failed to make the Top 40 on it's original release.

Admittedly it's not as good as "All That She Wants" or "The Sign", but it's still good.

No comments:

Post a Comment