Monday 13 March 2017

Record of the Year 1972: Chi-Lites - Have You Seen Her


This is the year I have changed my mind the most times about what should be my record of the year. As little as 3 days ago I still had 5 candidates, but have decided to settle on this.

Having not been born at the time this came out, the first version I heard of this was the MC Hammer cover in 1990. I can't remember the first time I heard the original, it certainly wasn't one of those moments when I would think the original is so much better as I quite liked the MC Hammer version as a kid.

I did find one day a few years ago myself having a sudden urge out of nowhere to listen to this and it been on my playlist ever since.

This was the second UK hit for the Chi-Lites, the first being "(For God's Sake) Give More Power To The People" the previous year. The followed up with the hit "Oh Girl", a tune that I first heard the Paul Young cover of which like MC Hammer was in 1990. Then next came "Homely Girl" a tune that I first heard the UB40 cover of in 1989. So basically I heard 3 Chi-Lites covers in the space of a year before I even knew the group existed.

This tune was re-released in 1975 as a double a side with "Oh Girl".

All in all the Chi-Lites had 8 top 40 hits in the UK, this being equally the most successful alongside their final hit "You Don't Have To Go" from 1976 with both hits making number 3.

The band still remain active today with Marshall Thompson being the only original member, the other three original members have since passed away.

No comments:

Post a Comment