Thursday 2 March 2017

Fenech Soler @ Heaven

After missing out on their comeback London gig back in October, I finally got to see Fenech Soler last night at Heaven.

The first time I saw them in concert was in 2010 around the time their first album came out, so that gig was basically them playing their album. Last time I saw them in 2013 was after their second album came out where they played every track from that album, plus a few from their first. Now they've just released their third album, the burning question was how much of their new material would be played?

It was pretty much a 50/50 split between old and new. They began with "Night Time TV" and "On Top" from the new album. Then came the ever popular "Lies" with an extended intro and got the crowd moving once the beat kicked in. This was followed by their comeback single "Kaleidoscope".

I've found their latest album to be less catchy than the first two, but have always found their music sounds better live than recorded and could definitely say by this point that their new material follows suit. Now just the Duffy brothers in the group having been a four piece, they had a couple of touring musicians on the stage with them including their cousin on the drums. As such the loss of two members hasn't changed the live concept of their performances.

When they played "Stop and Stare" and confetti came out of the ceiling, I feared that the concert was coming to a close having been going less than an hour. Fortunately this wasn't the end of the gig, but the end wasn't too far off.

When they came on for the encore, they finished the gig with "In Our Blood", a great tune to round off the night with and is probably my favourite tune from their second album.

As I didn't expect the gig to finish so soon, I stuck around at the end to finish my beer. Then Ross from the band came down from the stage to chat with the fans, I had a quick chat with him myself and told him it was good to see they didn't call it a day like I thought they may have done prior to the comeback.

Overall a top gig, I recommend you go to see them live even if you're not sure of their recorded music, trust me they sound much better live. My only complaint is that the set was a bit short, but if you've ever seen them, you'll know they work really hard on stage going from instrument to instrument so no doubt they were knackered by the end of it. Hopefully I won't have to wait another four years till I next see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment