Friday 31 March 2017

25 Years Since....March 1992

It's the end of the month so its time to look at a few tunes I was enjoying this time 25 years ago:

Guns N Roses - November Rain

I was somewhat baffled at the time at seeing Guns N Roses with an orchestra and Axl sitting behind a piano rather than running around the stage. Still it was Guns N Roses, the band that could do no wrong at the time as far as I was concerned.

The challenge I faced with this record was actually hearing the whole thing. At nearly 10 minutes long you'd always be getting a cut down version, some longer than others. It was always a bit of a mystery as to how it actually ended, it wasn't until I first heard the "Use Your Illusion 1" album until I heard the whole thing. Even several years later many music channels would miss out the guitar solo at the end when showing the video. The sad thing about it is that is probably the best part of the song.

KLF - America: What Time Is Love?

This was the final release from the KLF before they retired from the music industry. This was a remix of their first top 40 hit simply called "What Time Is Love?" and actually charted one place higher reaching number four.

Admittedly this is probably my least favourite of the KLFs five top 40 hits, but that is more to do with how good I think the other ones were. Such was my love for the KLF that around a decade later I was in a pub in my hometown and a bloke who was 2 or 3 years older than me who I vaguely remembered came up to me and said "You were the one who used to always sing the KLF at school weren't you?".

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under the Bridge

Although this wasn't the first Red Hot Chili Peppers top 40 hit, it was the first I heard of theirs. They weren't exactly household names in this country at the time, a few months later I'd forgotten both who this was and what this song was called. I always remembered it as being the "Take me to a place I love" song.

Around a year or so later when I was part of the rock crowd, there were a number of bands we were told we should listen to and the Red Hot Chili Peppers were one of them. I took a while before I actually heard them, no internet in those days. I was aware they had a song called "Under the Bridge" though. Then one day it came up in conversation and someone started singing it, that made me realise after months of wondering what the Red Hot Chili Peppers sounded like I knew a song of theirs all along. I was somewhat surprised they were a band the rock crowd would listen to though as it isn't rock music.

It was rereleased in 1994 following the top 10 success of "Give It Away" and reached number 13 which was an improvement on the 26 it originally reached. By this point the Red Hot Chili Peppers were very much a household name in this country.


Liquid - Sweet Harmony

I was at my local Our Price when I first heard this, obviously they played music in there all the time but this one caught my attention. It must have been the piano intro and then the beat kicking in.

This would be record I would hear quite often when I became a raver and have heard it in many old skool sets. It was remixed in 1995 and reached the top 40 again. Some years later I came across the cassette single in Cash Convertors for 10p and thought why not, despite having it on many of my existing tapes.

Erasure - Breath of Life

I was always quite fond of Erasure when I was younger, they seemed to just put out good tune after good tune. One I particularly liked was "Love To Hate You" in 1991. This was followed up with "Am I Right?" at the end of 1991 and then followed by this.

It didn't disappoint and at the time I would have put Erasure as one of my favourite groups. Unfortunately what followed this was the "Abba-Esque EP" which put me right off them. It would be quite some years later until they would find their way into my music collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment