Sunday 8 January 2017

Record of the Year 1968: Honeybus - I Can't Let Maggie Go


I first heard this record back in my student days when I was working part time at a supermarket. This was on the tape being played in the shop, so for a period of time I would hear this every shift I worked and multiple times on the longer shifts.

I didn't actually know what the song was, I had assumed it was called "She Flies Like A Bird" but there was no such song in my British Hit Singles book. Thankfully I found out what it was via searching the internet a few years later.

Given how often I would hear it back then, it shows how good the record is given I now listen to it by choice without being haunted by those memories.

It was the only single for Honeybus. Just a few months after this was released, the songwriter Pete Dello left the group and they split up the following year before their album came out.

The drummer Pete Kircher remained in the spotlight, going on to become the drummer for Status Quo before retiring in the 80s.



No comments:

Post a Comment