Wednesday 4 January 2017

Nothing Lasts Forever - The Honeyz

The general point made about most acts featured in this series so far is their career at the top was brief because they did generic rubbish to sell to the kids and then the kids grew up and moved on. Todays subject though were genuinely a good group and certainly left the spotlight prematurely in my opinion.

Like many, I first came across The Honeyz in 1998 towards the end of the summer when they debuted with their first single "Finally Found". With girl power still very much a thing at the time and the anti man attitude that came with it, it was good to hear a record from a female group which was more positive. At the time I found it a very soothing record and particularly liked it where Celena sang "its always been you" in the chorus.

They returned at the end of the year with their follow up single "End of the Line" which I also quite liked. It seemed like they were here to stay for a while. Then in March 1999 came the news that Honeyz member Heavenli had left the group prior to the release of their third single "Love of a Lifetime". In came Mariama from Solid HarmoniE who had their brief chart career the previous year. Again I thought this was quite a good song, but it didn't have the same impact as the previous two singles and I still hadn't felt the need to go out and buy their music yet.

In October of that year came their first single recorded with Mariama, "Never Let You Down". Again, I quite liked it but still thought the first two singles were the best ones. Then in March 2000 came single number 5 "Won't Take It Lying Down" which I first heard when they performed it on Top of the Pops. This was definitely my least favourite of the singles so far, but still not a bad song.

Following this I didn't hear anything of The Honeyz for a while and gradually started to forget about them having never bought any of their music.

Then in February 2001 I bought a compilation with "Finally Found" on it and it reminded me how much I liked it and their other hits. Then shortly after I went to a second hand record shop and found 2 albums of theirs and bought both of them. After leaving the shop I noticed that both albums were the same, one was the original "Wonder No 8" album and the other was the repackaged album with the two extra tracks recorded when Mariama joined.

Looking on the internet I found they only had the one album so far, but they had released a single called "Not Even Gonna Trip" in October 2000 which only reached number 24 and completely passed me by. I also discovered that Mariama had now departed and Heavenli had re-joined the group.

A few months later after regularly listening to their album and really getting into their music, I was flicking through the music channels and saw they were back with a song called "I Don't Know". There was also a feature on "The Box" where they were talking about their new video. I thought it was a great song and when it got released in August I was straight down the record shop to buy it. Unfortunately not too many other people did as it only reached number 27. I also read rumors on the internet they were on the verge of getting dropped by their label which seemed typical as I'd only really just started listening to them.

In September they played a gig at Newcastle University students union and I was living in Newcastle at the time. However, it was fresher's week and you needed to be a fresher at Newcastle University to go to it, which I wasn't so I missed out.

Shortly after though I came across the promo for their next single "Talk to the Hand" at a record shop in Newcastle which I bought. I also heard on the internet about their new album Harmony so thought they would at least release that before they got dropped. Sadly they didn't, there was no new single or album released. No official confirmation was given, but it was quite obvious they had been dropped.

Fortunately I did manage to acquire a copy of the unreleased "Harmony" album, firstly via somebody on a Honeyz forum copying it onto tape for me but then I managed to buy the CD on eBay sometime later. I also managed to buy the promo video for "Talk to the Hand" which is now the only VHS I still own. I can honestly say that "Harmony" is a fantastic album and its a shame it never got released.

There were many rumors going round on the internet as to whether The Honeyz would continue or not, many were false. Then in 2002 I read they were finished but were still contractually obliged to do a few more gigs, one of which was at the Stadium of Light in Sunderland. For a group that had been dropped by their label and even their biggest fans were unsure what had happened to them it sounded a bit unrealistic for them to be playing at a football stadium. However, as I lived up the road in Newcastle I went down to the ticket office at the Stadium of Light to find out if it was true. Turned out it was true, but they weren't doing a gig as such, just performing a couple of songs before the football match started, needless to say I didn't bother going.

After a few attempted comebacks with varying line ups over the years, they appeared on The Big Reunion along with several other bands that had chart success a  number of years ago. We never really got the true story of what had happened to them though as much of it was made up for good telly. The line up consisted of Celena, Mariama and Heavenli. Presumably because of this, the absent Naima was very much made the villain of the piece, that she was only in the group for her looks and couldn't sing and she was the one who created bad vibes in the group. Whether all that is true or not, one thing I will say is that on the unreleased "Harmony" album there is a track called "Love Is Strange" where Naima sings lead vocals and it sounds like she can very much sing on that. Furthermore, on the "Love of a Lifetime" single there is a version of "Finally Found" that only contains the backing vocals, and the harmonising you hear in that which is presumably Naima and Heavenli does not sound like that of someone who can't sing.

I didn't go to see them in concert though as they would tour with the rest of the groups on The Big Reunion so only do 2 or 3 songs, plus the rest of the groups from the show are quite frankly crap.

When I've brought up The Honeyz in conversations over the years, several people have dismissed them as pop music for young girls, but it really wasn't like that at all. Many of the people I spoke to on the forums at the time were grown men.

Also, I do remember a time when I was driving along listening to the "Wonder No 8" album back in 2001 and I was singing along to pretty much the whole album. I had 3 mates in the car, all grown men and when "End of the Line" came on they were all singing along too. Ok, admittedly it is perhaps a bit odd having four men in a car singing a love ballad, but the point is we all thought it was good music.

Despite "Finally Found" and "End of the Line" being the songs that appealed to me initially, after buying the album I found myself preferring "Love of a Lifetime" and "Never Let You Down". At the time, when me a flatmate were chatting whilst the album was on it became an unwritten rule that when it was the breakdown in "Never Let You Down" we would shut up and just listen to the harmonising.

Since the whole big reunion thing faded away, Heavenli has left the group again and they have carried on as a duo. They have played a number of gigs since then, but none in London to my knowledge, but if they do play in London some point in the future I may pop along.

So to conclude, The Honeyz glory days in the charts lasted just over 18 months, but their glory days on my CD player lasted much longer.

1 comment:

  1. hi, can you upload a CD rip of this album please?

    ReplyDelete