Monday 30 January 2017

25 Years Since...

Now we're almost a month into 2017, I thought I'd take a look at some of the music I was enjoying at the start of 1992. It was before I devoted myself to any scene and enjoyed most music that was in the charts. Here are 5 tunes I particularly liked at the time:

Prodigy - Everybody In the Place

At the time the Prodigy's only previous effort on the charts was "Charly" which was written off as a novelty record. I don't think I'd heard anything quite like this record at the time, even 25 years later the beats on this record sound like something else. I remember having the urge to dance with my hands in the air at the time, probably an early sign of my raving years that would lie ahead of me.

Wonder Stuff - Welcome To the Cheap Seats

The Wonder Stuff were one of those bands who put out a few tunes around the turn of the decade, but they stepped up a gear in 1991 when they released "Size Of A Cow" in 1991. Then later in the year came their biggest hit, the number one "Dizzy" with Vic Reeves. Such was the success from that record along with the fact that Miles Hunt barely sang on the record, it almost banished anything they'd done before to history as far as I was concerned. However, the release of "Welcome To the Cheap Seats" reminded me of their existence as a band without Vic Reeves. This time they had guest vocalist Kirsty MacColl, but I think its fair to say that Miles Hunt was very much the main vocalist on this.

James - Born Of Frustration

Asking anyone to name a James song and the vast majority will say "Sit Down". Personally I've never been a fan of "Sit Down", but "Born Of Frustration" is a fantastic tune. I like the way the chorus is a bit of an anti climax to the "Wooooowooooowoooowooo" at the beginning. It's also a song that I misheard the lyrics to, the line "When all that counts in how to change" I heard as "When all the counties out to change".

Pasadena's - I'm Doing Fine Now

This had an instant impact on me when I saw this for the first time on the Chart Show. It just has one of those real feel good choruses. Still feeling good listening to it 25 years later.

Voice Of the Beehive - Perfect Place

I used to follow the charts really closely in 1992. I would regularly listen to the top 40 countdown and would rarely miss an episode of Top of the Pops or the Chart Show. Just as well really, else I may not have ever heard this song which only reached number 37 in the charts. Seems like not too many people remembered it either, this video has been on YouTube for almost 10 months and has had only 97 views. Make it 98, you know you want to!  

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Voice Of The Beehive now showing at 104 views and growing...does this mean they've finally made it??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now 112, that's 15 views in under a week when it was averaging 9.7 views a month, it'll reach a million before you know it!

      Delete