Thursday 31 December 2015

Guru Josh dies


This week brought the news that Guru Josh has committed suicide. He was best known for his 1990 hit Infinity, though he did have a follow up single, Whose Law (Is It Anyway?) and an album also called Infinity.

I remember watching Infinity on Top of the Pops in 1990 but soon forgot who it was and what the tune was called. In 1994 I bought a best of techno compilation which had the remix I've posted here on it. It was possibly my favourite tune on the compilation and remember thinking it was similar to the tune I saw on Top of the Pops 4 years earlier without realising it was the same tune. It was when I was looking in my Guinness Book of British Hit Singles some time later that I saw it was a top 10 hit in 1990 that made me realise.

In 1997 I read an article in Dream Magazine that he was planning a comeback but nothing really happened then. In 2008 there was a trend for remixing tunes from the rave era of the late 80s/early 90s and Infinity was one of those tunes to get that treatment. Personally I thought that remix was terrible but it ended up charting higher than the original. There was another remix in 2012 which I was not aware of which reached the top 10 in Austria.

However this 1994 remix is in my opinion the best of the lot. RIP Guru Josh.

No comments:

Post a Comment