Thursday 24 December 2015

Charly Lownoise & Mental Theo - This Christmas


I've never really been a fan of Christmas music in general but there are a select few I do like and this one is probably my favourite.

It was from Christmas 1995 so is now 20 years old but I must admit I was not aware of this tune in 1995. Your also not likely to hear it at your average Christmas party in the UK because I suspect most people in this country don't know it. So how do I know it?

I first came across Charly Lownoise and Mental Theo in 1995 via a mix tape a mate had given me which had three of their tracks on it. I also heard several other tracks of theirs through tape packs I acquired in my youth but not really knowing who they were, but loved pretty much every tune I'd heard of theirs.

Fast forward to the early days of YouTube, I discover they were pretty much pop stars in Holland and had music videos to many of the tunes of theirs which I loved a decade or so earlier. I then listened to pretty much every tune of theirs which was on YouTube which included this.

Admittedly it isn't a credible tune being both Happy Hardcore and Christmas music, both of which have a reputation for being a bit cheesy. However I concluded many years ago that you're not supposed to take Happy Hardcore seriously, you just enjoy it which is exactly what I do.

In a way its a bit of a shame I didn't hear this or even see this video back when it was released because I know my young self would appreciate it much more than I did when I finally heard it. Still, I appreciate it enough to declare it my favourite Christmas tune so listen and enjoy!

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment