Saturday 19 December 2015

Dreadzone @ Under the Bridge

On Thursday night I went to see Dreadzone at a small intimate venue called Under the Bridge which is underneath Stamford Bridge (Chelsea's football stadium for those who don't know football). It was the second time I'd seen them and both times were at the same venue.

Like many people, I first heard Dreadzone back in 1995 when they released Little Britain. I always liked that tune but never really followed them until some years later when I spotted their Second Light album going cheap at a record shop and purchased it. I discovered just how good they were and when I saw they were playing in London last year I decided to go.

The first time I saw them play it was one of the best gigs I've ever been too. Obviously the second time is never as good but it was still a top show. It was a very different set to the first one aside from Little Britain and a couple of other tunes they can't not play. They now have seven studio albums so have plenty of material to choose from.

The front man MC Spee joined the band on their fifth album, Once Upon a Time and when playing Iron Shirt he said that was the first song he recorded with them. Surprisingly though, they probably played more material from their first four albums. One of the newer tunes played was American Dread where we were told a couple had flown over from America just for the gig. There was also a big crowd sing-along to Rise Up and Next Generation. The last tune they played was Captain Dread where the crowd seemed to find another gear.

Dreadzone do play live a lot and are quite big on the festival circuit and I would definitely recommend you going to see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment