Thursday 28 March 2024

Snoop Dogg - I Wanna Thank Me (2019)


In 2019 I bought tickets to go and see Snoop Dogg in concert in April 2020. As a result I thought I should give "I Wanna Thank Me" which was his latest album a listen so I could get an idea of what to expect at the concert.

In hindsight this turned out to be pointless, in April 2020 no concerts were happening and after numerous postponements the concert finally happened in 2023. By this point he'd since released 2 further albums and not a single track from this album was played at the concert.

It wasn't all a waste of time though because out of his more modern albums this is the best one I've listened to so far. It's Snoop Dogg being Snoop Dogg which is exactly what you want to hear.

As the album starts it goes back to the 90s G-Funk sound we had from him in the early days. We'd have more of that as the album goes on, but overall it's a journey through the various sounds we had from him previously such as the R&G era.

There is also a posthumous appearance from Nate Dogg on "Wintertime In July" who is certainly a very welcome guest vocalist. Some very dodgy guest do appear particularly towards the end such as Annita on "Little Square UBitchU" and Azjah on "Ventalation". 

Shit guest vocalists are nothing new though and I'm not letting this get in the way of what is overall a good album.

No comments:

Post a Comment