Sunday 31 March 2024

25 Years Since....March 1999

Wow 25 years since the last year of the 20th century, these were the tunes I was enjoying then:

Lenny Kravitz - Fly Away


We were still in an era where a record could top the charts off the back of appearing on an advert. This was featured on the Peugeot 206 advert and I guess it made it quite a good advert. 

Lenny Kravitz was a name I'd not heard for some time, it had been 4 years since he'd last been in the Top 40. It would be another 5 years until his next Top 40 hit.

2Pac - Changes

2Pac had just 2 Top 40 hits to his name when he died. By the time this record came out he was up to 11. It became his highest charting Top 40 hit to that point.

It samples "The Way It Is" by Bruce Hornsby & The Range, a record I already knew. Once this record came out though it seemed strange whenever I heard the original.

DJ Sakin And Friends - Protect Your Mind (For The Love Of A Princess)

There was a happy hardcore version of this record around the same time and as a result it's associated with MC Junior doing a rap over it when Force & Styles played it at Helter Skelter.

It was really the happy hardcore version that got me into this version and I liked it enough to tape it off Dave Pearce's Dance Anthems.

Manic Street Preachers - You Stole The Sun From My Heart

Manic Street Preachers are very much a mixed bag when it comes to their music. I'm not a fan of most of it, but then occasionally they come out with something great and this is one of those records.

I also think this is possibly the last decent record that they made.


Orbital - Style

Orbital had been around for quite a few years by this point and had been very popular in the dance music world. In 1999 I feel like their popularity was growing in line with how popular dance music was becoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment