Thursday 21 December 2023

Christmas Charts Rated: 1969

Top 40

Best Song: Lou Christie - I'm Gonna Make You Mine

Lou Christie had a total of 4 Top 40 hits, all in the 60s and I'd say this is probably the best of them. It's one of those great uplifting feel good records that makes me nostalgic for a decade that I never lived in. I couldn't imagine music like this being made these days.

Worst Song: Jim Reeves - But You Love Me Daddy

This obviously wasn't an actual 1969 record given that Jim Reeves died in 1964. It actually came a decade earlier with a 7 year old Stevie Moore providing backing vocals in this. No doubt he was cringing when this came out in 1969.

Top 40 Review

We've reached the final year to review. I concluded that 1969 was the best year for the UK Top 40, but would it still be good by Christmas time?

The short answer is yes it was. It seems like the moment the 60s had been building up to, like everyone was bringing together their learnings from the evolution of music in the 60s to leave the decade on a high.

No Christmas songs in the Top 40 but there were novelty songs including the Christmas number one. This was really the blip on an otherwise great Top 40.

Like with my best year search it would be easier to just name the records I've given zero points to in this Top 40. These are the records from Rolf Harris, Jim Reeves, Des O'Connor, Cliff Richard, Frank Sinatra, Johnny Cash and The Scaffold.

Elsewhere we have a variety of music and some artists making the best music I've ever heard them do. This includes "Something" by The Beatles which is my favourite hit of theirs. Generally speaking I'm not a fan of Cilla Blacks music but "If I Thought You'd Ever Change Your Mind" is an excellent record.

Another great record comes from Marmalade with "Reflections Of My Life" which seems quite fitting for the end of the decade and they're what I would call one of the quiet heroes of music from around this era.

The score ends up being one that I never thought I'd see. 

Score: 30.5

Table

I don't think I've really proved the charts take a nosedive at Christmas except perhaps for the more modern era. However I do think I've given more proof for 1969 being the best year of the UK Top 40:



No comments:

Post a Comment