Wednesday 4 October 2023

Top 30 in 1995 Reviewed: Week 40

Here's my weekly look at the Top 30 from 28 years ago. The plan is for these posts to go out at 17:30 on a Wednesday.

Here is the Top 40 in full.

Obviously some of the records will be the same as last week so therefore the review will be the same for these. I've indicated which ones are new so you can skip the others if you read last weeks post.

Once again my opinions are inevitably going to differ from other people, but I'm not trying to convince anyone something is good or rubbish, I'm simply giving my opinion.

So this is the top 30 from this week in 1995 with my verdict on each record:


After being top of the charts for an eternity with the dreary ballad "Think Twice" it would seem that Celine Dion could release any old rubbish and people would buy it. That seemed to be the case with this French language record. 

Verdict - Rubbish


The Top 40 debut for Candy Girls who was an alias of Paul Masterson. They were one of the hardbag acts who managed multiple Top 40 hits. The only negative thing I have to say about this record is that follow up "Wham Bam" was better.

Verdict - Good


What I was learning from being a raver in 1995 was that you generally weren't supposed to like house music because it's too slow. There were of course exceptions to the rule and this was one of them. The person who told me of that rule liked this record himself.

Verdict - Good


The 2nd and final Top 40 hit to date for Escrima who was an alias of Tall Paul. We would see Tall Paul in the Top 40 again under different names though. What Tall Paul manages to do with his Top 40 hits is make something that sounds credible but has a radio friendly element to it at the same time.

Verdict - Good


The winner of the Blur vs Oasis chart battle. As a raver at the time I didn't care for Blur or Oasis but if I had to pick one it would have been Blur. In fact I did like Blur during their "Parklife" album era. This record marked the start of their demise in my opinion

Verdict - Rubbish


This record is based around a sampled of "All Night Long" by the Mary Jane Girls. I guess it makes sense given the similarities of their names. I heard this before I heard the Mary Jane Girls record which may be a factor in me liking it, but I do prefer the Mary Jane Girls record.

Verdict - Good


My memory of The Boo Radleys was them making their Top 40 debut with the very uplifting "Wake Up Boo!" and then following up with a bunch of moody records including this one. That fact was what I liked about them.

Verdict - Good


Which Britpop band had a hit in 1995 called "Alright"? The answer to that question could be Cast or Supergrass though they're different records. This is also quite an uplifting number and I quite like it.

Verdict - Good


It had been 4 years since we'd last seen Oleta Adams in the Top 40. Although Oleta Adams is British this could easily pass for an American R&B record. Having Americans cowriting the song probably helps. The result is a great record.

Verdict - Good


There's almost a bit of a reggae vibe to this record which isn't how I remember this record if I'm honest. I don't think I've heard it since 1995 and my memory of this record is it being a typical depressing Michael Bolton ballad. To be fair it's not a million miles away from that.

Verdict - Rubbish


I've already mentioned a memory of listening to the Chris Evans Breakfast Show one day on Radio 1 around this time and liking everything he was playing. This was another of those records that he played. It became the biggest hit to that point for TLC.

Verdict - Good


This was originally a Top 40 hit in 1994 but fared better on it's return to the Top 40 in 1995. Around the same time there was a happy hardcore record called "Rainbow in the Sky" by Paul Elstak that was based on the same tune but with different lyrics.

Verdict - Good


Janet Jackson had finished with releasing just about every song on her self titled album as a single. Now it was time for a greatest hits album which this record was written for. Not my cup of tea.

Verdict - Rubbish


The Outhere Brothers has what was arguably the biggest anthem of the summer of 1995 with "Boom Boom Boom". It was always going to be difficult to follow that up and have the same impact. This was much more low key that it's predecessors, but still a decent enough record.

Verdict - Good


Green Day had clearly dropped off my radar by this point as I have no recollection of this being in the charts. I never heard it until I bought the "Insomniac" album a few years later. I found the album to generally be quite poor. This was the lead single, it lacks the fast drums and doesn't really go anywhere.

Verdict - Rubbish


This was the lead single from "III: Temples of Boom", the follow up album to "Black Sunday". They never really hit the same heights of that album truth be told, but you could often rely on them to come up with a solid record.

Verdict - Good


I remember when this record came out Sleeper were generally annoying me. It was possibly a combination of hearing this song all the time and the fact I didn't like any of their music. It's the ultimate illustration of guitar music getting too soft.

Verdict - Rubbish


With a title like this it presumably didn't get much radio play. I have to say I do find the lyrics to this one quite funny. It's and American dance record which fitted in well with the hardbag scene, though not sure it was technically part of it. I like it whatever it is.

Verdict - Good


1995 was the year that Louise left Eternal and this was her solo debut. Simon Climie from 80s pop duo Climie Fisher was on songwriting duties. It's a dreary ballad that I don't think I've heard since 1995 anf hopefully I'll never hear it again.

Verdict - Rubbish


This of course was the theme song for the TV show Friends. I used to watch Friends back in the 90s and I liked it but I have to say it's not aged very well. The theme music though was always shit, but it was probably intended to be that way.

Verdict - Rubbish


Bruce Dickinson had left Iron Maiden by this point and this was their first Top 40 hit with Blaze Bayley as their lead singer. I'm not one of these people who think an Iron Maiden record needs Bruce Dickinson singing on it for it to be any good. Instead I'm one of these people who thinks an Iron Maiden record needs a fast drum beat to be any good. Fortunately this one has a fast drum beat.

Verdict - Good


After the impact that "Set You Free" had on me I was excited to hear a follow up record which was this. This quickly turned to disappointment, this wasn't rave at all, it was a cheesy remake of the Bee Gees record.

Verdict - Rubbish


A criticism I had of Bon Jovi during this era at the time was that their songs were either ballads or acoustic numbers. Then came this record which is neither. In fact I found it hard to pick a fault with this record.

Verdict - Good


The run of Top 10 hits continued for Wet Wet Wet with this record. Marti Pellow's ponytail had gone but it would seem he lost none of his power. Once again I feel like I shouldn't like this record but I do.

Verdict - Good


When this record came out I remember being shocked at Mariah Carey making a record that was so upbeat. It's based around a sample of "Genius Of Love" by Tom Tom Club which is a great record. However the last thing it needs is Mariah Carey's whiny voice over the top of it.

Verdict - Rubbish


This was originally a Top 40 hit for Smokie back in 1976. Then there was a cover by Gompie that was big in Europe where the audience would reply "Alice, who the fuck is Alice". Smokie therefore decided to revive this song and get comedian Roy 'Chubby' Brown to add the "Alice, who the fuck is Alice" bit. I think it's great.

Verdict - Good


This record was written by R Kelly. It's a ballad and R Kelly was one of those people who knew how to write a ballad well.

Verdict - Good


After this record appeared on the Levi's advert it became Shaggy's second number one out of his first three Top 40 hits. It's a silly record really but great fun to listen to.

Verdict - Good


"Sorted For E's and Wizz" is the better known song on this double a-side and it's a decent enough record. I would however say that "Mis-Shapes" is miles better and is the best Pulp song I've heard. I love the attitude this record has.

Verdict - Good Good


It had been 3 years since we'd last seen Simply Red in the Top 40 and this comeback single gave them their only number one record to date. The not very musical verses followed by a really catchy chorus works really well.

Verdict - Good

If we give the records which were good 1 point each and those which were OK half a point, the final score is 20/30, or 67%. The score still remains the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment