Saturday 7 October 2023

20 Years Since....Q3 2003

Here's the tunes I was enjoying 20 years ago:

Tyrese - How You Gonna Act Like That


I was really into R&B music in 2003 and this was one of the R&B records that I liked. It was the only UK Top 40 hit for Tyrese who is probably better known for being an actor than a singer.

Pharrell ft Jay-Z - Frontin

I remember being in a pub with a video jukebox that this came on. My friend wasn't familiar with Pharrell and I'll never forget his reaction when Pharrell started singing. He was expecting him to start rapping and was very much thinking what the fuck when he started singing in a squeaky voice.

I liked it enough to buy the CD single.

D Kay & Epsilon ft Stamina Mc - Barcelona

I guess you could call this the musical side of drum & bass. I was a fan of that sort of drum & bass at the time, yes it's more commercial sounding but doesn't take it to the extremes we've seen in more recent years.

Sean Paul - Like Glue

When Sean Paul first broke through into the UK charts I thought his music was good. What I've heard him do since, not so much.

This was one of his early hits and is his best hit in my opinion.

Abs ft Nodesha - Miss Perfect

Guilty pleasure time. This was the 3rd and final solo Top 40 hit for Abs and it's one of those records that's so bad it's good.

So Solid Crew - Broken Silence

I wasn't a fan of the So Solid Crew direction that UK garage was taking a couple of years earlier. However this comeback record from them isn't a garage record at all, it's very much a rap record. It's the best thing I've ever heard them do.

No comments:

Post a Comment