Saturday 30 September 2023

Fenech-Soler

 


As the years go by my music tastes get more and more out of date. One thing I've said numerous times is the only truly modern act I listen to is Fenech-Soler. Today however marks 10 years since their "Rituals" album was released which was their last album to feature the full line up so on that basis I guess they're not so modern any more.

One thing I'm not sure of to this very day is just how big they were. They appeared on the TV and you'd hear their music out and about and I think you'd hear them on Radio 1 too. At the same time they never had a Top 40 hit and the majority of people I mention them to have never heard of them.

When I first went to see them in concert it was at a 400 capacity venue that turned into a nightclub after the gig. Once the gig finished they had a chat with the fans before tidying the equipment away themselves and loading it onto a van out the front. Very much the sign of an up and coming band then, but you could sense they were about to get bigger.

By the time the "Rituals" album came out they were playing Shepherds Bush Empire and being supported by New Young Pony Club who had tasted Top 40 success.

Having established themselves in an era when recorded music was no longer profitable they would tour a lot. It was their live shows that made them stand out. They would rotate between different instruments on the stage and it was well put together. A friend of mine wasn't overly impressed with their recorded music but was impressed when he saw their live performance.

A year or so after the "Rituals" album things went quiet. Then in 2016 they came back but 2 of the 4 members had left the band including the member who's surname is Fenech-Soler.

A new album and tour was announced and their London date was in the slightly smaller Heaven. Shortly before the gig and email went out to their mailing list informing of a competition to win tickets to the gig. I'd already bought tickets but thought I may as well enter the competition and offer the tickets to friends if I won.

I did win the competition and was given a code to quote at the door. On arrival I said I had a code but before giving it they asked if I'd won a competition. I said yes and they just let me in. Judging by the space in the venue it would seem they didn't sell enough tickets so they had a number of competition winners to help boost the numbers.

They probably made a loss that night and given touring was presumably their main source of income I sensed this was the beginning of the end for the band.

They never officially broke up, no announcements were made in that respect. But given they've not released any new music or done any gigs in the last 6 years I think it's safe to say they are no more.

The only member who still appears to be making a living from music is Andrew Lindsay. He was one of the members who left in 2016 and works as a music producer and touring musician. For the others I guess it's back to the day job.

No comments:

Post a Comment