Thursday 28 September 2023

Christmas Charts Rated: 1988

Top 40

Best Song: The Four Tops - Loco In Acapulco

I remember liking this record at the time and I just assumed that The Four Tops were a current band. I had no idea they were big in the 60s and this was their swan song. It may help that I wasn't around in the 60s, but to me this is just as much a Four Tops classic as their hits of the 60s and that's really saying something.

Worst Song: Tiffany - Radio Romance

Being a young child in 1988 I wasn't particularly picky when it came to music. I was still only just discovering pop music really so a lot of it sounded good. One pop singer I always thought was dreadful from day one however was Tiffany. Many people remember her for just one song, but I remember all four of her Top 40 hits unfortunately. This was the last of them.

Top 40 Review

There were 3 Christmas songs in the 1988 Christmas Top 40. The Christmas number one was "Mistletoe And Wine" by Cliff Richard which is a candidate for worst Christmas song ever. We also had Bros do "Silent Night" and Alexander O'Neal do "Christmas Song". No points for any of these.

There was a record that's viewed by some as a Christmas record but isn't one which was "Keeping The Dream Alive" by Freiheit and I like that one. There was the obligatory novelty hit which came from A Tribe Of Toffs with "John Kettley (Is A Weatherman)" that I like the sentiment of but musically can't give any points to.

Neighbours was at the height of its popularity at this time and the Christmas number two was "Especially For You" by Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan. Even my young self thought it was a bit naff. We also had "Suddenly" by Angry Anderson which was the Scott and Charlene wedding song on Neighbours. I do like that one.

Sticking with Australia, INXS were in the Top 40 with their biggest hit "Need You Tonight" which is a great record.

Inner City were in the Top 40 with their biggest hit "Good Life". From Holland we had Hithouse with "Jack to the Sound of the Underground. We also had home grown acid house music with "Stakker Humanoid by Humanoid. New Order were also jumping on the acid house bandwagon with "Fine Time". It's full marks for all of these records.

Cliff Richard wasn't the only act from the 50s in this Top 40. Petula Clark was in there with a remix of "Downtown". I'm sure even Petula Clark once said herself that she thought that remix was dreadful.

There were older acts making decent music in this Top 40 though. We had super group The Travelling Wilburys with the excellent "Handle With Care" which was their only Top 40 hit. The Beach Boys had their only 80s Top 40 hit on their own with "Kokomo".

Remembering this chart as a young kid no doubt helps with the score.

Score: 19.5

Table

Some pretty strong scores for the first 3 Christmas charts I remember at the time:



No comments:

Post a Comment