Tuesday 9 May 2023

UK Number 40s: Pauline Henry featuring Wayne Marshall - Never Know Love Like This (1996)

 


In the mid-90s there were several R&B compilations which came out called "Pure Swing". A few years later when I was getting into R&B myself someone lent me the first one. There were big names on there such as Jodeci and some names I'd never heard of, but assumed to be big name American acts that I needed educating on.

One track that stood out to me was "Ooh Aah (G-Spot)" by Wayne Marshall. The person who owned the CD originally hailed from Northampton and told me they once saw Wayne Marshall play at a pub there.

I found it somewhat baffling that a big Amercian R&B superstar would play at a pub in Northampton. That was until I discovered he was actually British and only had one single. Even this discovery was wrong though, because he had a 2nd Top 40 hit.

Pauline Henry was formerly the lead singer of the Chimes who had a couple of Top 40 hits at the beginning of the 90s. Her first solo Top 40 effort came in 1993 with "Too Many People" which scraped into the Top 40 at 38, but it was follow up "Feel Like Making Love" that she is best known for and was her biggest hit.

A couple more hits that charted in the 30s followed before this, her final Top 40 hit to date.

It's a cover of a song by Alexander O'Neal featuring Cherrelle which made number 26 in 1988 and was penned by Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis who in a roundabout way have both a number 1 and number 40 as songwriters being credited on "Dub Be Good To Me" by Beats International thanks to it's sample.

Both singers are still performing, I've now seen Wayne Marshall in concert myself at IndigO2 a few years ago when he supported K-Ci & Jojo. Last I read about him he was playing at the launch of a club in Dunstable.

No comments:

Post a Comment