Wednesday 31 May 2023

25 Years Since....May 1998

Nearly half way through the year already, 1998 wasn't that quick:

Catatonia - Road Rage


This record was an example of me opening myself up to music that wasn't rave. I recall being in the pub with my friend who had taught me all things rave a few years earlier and he put this on the jukebox.

It wasn't what I was expecting him to play, but at the same time I thought actually that's a good choice.

Perpetual Motion - Keep On Dancin' (Let's Go)

It took a while for me to discover what this record actually was and I acquired it via a short mix someone did for me. It was one of those Friday feeling records, not sure if I ever heard it out on a Friday night but I certainly listened to it before going out on a Friday.

Freak Power - No Way

Freak Power had previously been in the Top 40 with "Turn On, Tune In, Cop Out" which was an acid jazz record. The main man behind Freak Power was Norman Cook and by this point he had become best known as Fatboy Slim.

This record sounds like it could easily be a Fatboy Slim record, the only similarity to other Freak Power records was the vocals of Ashley Slater.

Ruff Driverz - Deeper Love

I guess you could call this a time when I was moving on from rave music really. 2 men who had already made that transition were Chris Brown and Bradley Carter. Chris Brown was known in the rave scene as Eruption and ran United Dance and Bradley Carter was an engineer on many hardcore records.

This was a lot better than a lot of the cheese that was coming out in the rave scene around this time.


MJ Cole - Sincere

This record to me marks the end of the speed garage era and the start of the UK garage era. It wasn't the last speed garage record to make the Top 40 but I think it fits in better with the UK garage of 2000 than the speed garage of 1998.

No comments:

Post a Comment