Sunday 30 April 2023

25 Years Since....April 1998

A bit late but here we go:

Divine Comedy - I've Been To A Marvellous Party


The Divine Comedy weren't typical of the sort of music I'd listen to in the late 90s but I always quite liked them even if I felt I shouldn't. It was therefore a breath of fresh air when I heard this turning into a dance record.

It had already been established that their music was a bit weird but this record took it to another level and I loved it.

Busta Rhymes - Turn It Up/Fire It Up

Even though I never properly got into rap music until Eminem came about I always rated Busta Rhymes. I loved the aggressive tone of his rapping and with this record the sample really suited his voice. I also loved the way he was calm in the verses and then gets aggressive in the chorus.

Indo - R U Sleeping

Looking back I'm actually quite surprised how far into 1998 the speed garage hits were still coming out. In my mind it was a brief period in 1997.

I liked pretty much all the speed garage records that charted during that era and this was one of those.

187 Lockdown - Kung-Fu

187 Lockdown were pretty much the biggest speed garage act from a chart perspective. That's because they were one of just a small number of speed garage acts to have more than one Top 40 hit. This was their 2nd and also their biggest hit.


Tzant ft The Original ODC MC - Sounds Of Wickedness

One of the reasons why my memory tells me speed garage was finished in the charts by 1998 was because of the rise of big beat which more or less replaced speed garage as the dance genre of the moment.

This was one of those big beat records.

No comments:

Post a Comment