Saturday 24 December 2022

Blog Update for 2023

This year this blog has taken up a lot of my time. I've already mentioned the raving in 1995 posts being very time consuming and these will come to an end next week.

On Thursdays in 2023 I will be trying to answer the question: Does the overall quality of music in the Top 40 decline at Christmas time?

When I did my Top 20 from 20 years ago posts I found the scores I was giving each week were in serious decline towards the end of 1999 to the point I decided to do the Top 30 from 30 years ago the following year. Again though I did find scores started declining towards the end of 1990.

When I was looking for the best year of the Top 40 I gave each year a score based on a Top 40 from the middle of the year. Therefore what I will be doing is taking another score based on the Top 40 on Christmas week for each year and comparing.

In the modern era the Christmas charts are more or less the same each year. I thought I should review each year for the sake of completion but the years 2011-2022 will appear in a single post next week. That then gives me 51 years to do in 51 weeks prior to Christmas next year. 

Instead of doing them chronologically I'm going to do them in reverse order of where they finished on the best year leaderboard with the aim to save the best for last and keep it going.

That's not the only change that's happening though.

Another reason this blog has been taking up a lot of my time is because of the Top of the Pops repeats on BBC4 which caught up with my Top 30 from 30 years ago posts earlier this year. I write these posts well in advance of them appearing on the blog and it somewhat spoils the fun of it if I'm revisiting records I heard just a few weeks ago on Top of the Pops. 

I've therefore been working extra hard to stay ahead of the Top of the Pops repeats and although the latest posts you see are from the end of 1992 I'm actually well into 1994 with the posts I've written.

I figured that if I keep this up I'll have posts written to the end of the decade before we're even halfway through the decade. Anything could happen between now and then so I'm a bit hesitant to make posts so far in advance if they might not even see light of day.

Therefore I'm going to review the Top 30 for the equivalent week in 1995 and 1996 in addition to 1993 next year and then do the same for 1997 and 1998 in addition to 1994 the following year to keep ahead of Top of the Pops. That sounds like I'm giving myself more work, but it will be the same amount with the difference being posts appearing on the blog quicker instead of having 5 years worth of posts waiting. I'm going to spread these reviews across different days, so this is what each week will look like in 2023:

Tuesday: UK Number 40s

Wednesday: Top 30 Reviewed in 1995

Thursday: Christmas Chart Review

Friday: Top 30 Reviewed in 1996

Sunday: Top 30 Reviewed in 1994

Hopefully once I'm on top of these I'll have more time to make more one off random posts which was the idea behind this blog in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment