Monday 31 October 2022

25 Years Since....October 1997

Time to go back to 1997 once again:

Propellerheads With David Arnold - On Her Majesty's Secret Service


The Propellerheads were big in 1997 and then completely disappeared off the face of the earth never to be heard of again. Their "Decksandrumsandrockandroll" album is excellent and of all the singles to be released from it I would say this is the best one.

I would say as far as anything James Bond themed goes it doesn't get any better than this either.

Adam F - Circles

It's more accurate to say this was a record I was enjoying 27 years ago as that's when it started getting played at raves. When this became a Top 40 hit I was quick to tell everyone that I'd know this record for 2 years.

At the same time I wasn't too happy about it being a Top 40 hit because I wanted all the music I liked to stay underground. 

Bellini - Samba De Janeiro

I was surprised to read on Wikipedia that Bellini are a German girl group. Not so surprised that they're not Brazilian, I kind of assumed they weren't but definitely surprised to learn they're a girl group.

A lot is said about girl groups miming to the music, but with this record there isn't even any singing to mime to. Instead they just dance to the music, though I've no idea who the actual members are from watching the video because there's loads of people dancing.

All Saints - I Know Where It's At

There was never any doubt that the All Saints were a girl group when they made their Top 40 debut with this single. As a result I really didn't want to like this song.

I couldn't help but like it though and eventually bought their album which was the first album I'd bought in a long time that wasn't rave.


The Sundays - Summertime

Releasing a song about the summer when summer has just ended is quite a clever move really. I do however recall the summer of 1997 was pretty miserable, it was my last summer of riding a bike and remember getting drenched a lot from the rain.

That makes releasing this just after the summer of 1997 an even better move to bring back nostalgic memories of the summer of 1996. It did the trick with me anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment