Tuesday 16 November 2021

UK Number 40s: Nick Kamen - Tell Me (1988)

 


On a personal level, we have a new first. This is the first number 40 I actually remember charting at the time. Remembering this record proved to be a disadvantage for me when I was on Champions League Popmaster though. The question was what was Nick Kamen's only Top 5 hit? That's quite a reasonable question given it was Champions League, but I just couldn't get this record out of my head when asked the question which stopped me from thinking of the correct answer, which is "Each Time You Break My Heart". I knew this only got to 40 so therefore was the incorrect answer.

Nick Kamen was a model who was best known for appearing on the Levi's advert. A year later he began a music career and his debut hit was written by Stephen Bray, who's written several songs with Madonna, and Madonna herself. His follow up was a cover of "Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever" by Four Tops.

Then a little over a year later came his second album "Us" and this, the lead single from it. This song was written by Patrick Leonard, co-writer of 4 of Madonna's number ones and David Williams who previously had a hit as member of Chanson with "Don't Hold Back". Madonna provided backing vocals to this record.

It's his final Top 40 hit to date in the UK and it topped the charts in Italy. He carried on releasing music until 1992 and passed away earlier on this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment