Thursday 11 November 2021

UK Charts Best Year Search: 2003

What's this all about?

Top 40

Best Song: R Kelly - Ignition Remix

This was the era when I'd spend most Saturday nights going to crappy bars with late licenses that were basically clubs you didn't pay to get into. This record stands out as being one of the only records being played that I liked, but also replicating some of the moves in the video such as  "hands through my fro" and "bounce bounce bounce" on the dancefloor. It's a great record and even people who were into completely different styles of music liked this one too.

Worst Song: Jennifer Ellison - Baby I Don't Care

For the 3rd year in a row I've gone with a record that features someone from a soap for worst song. This time it's Brookside, a soap I don't think I ever sat down and watched an episode of. I hate the Transvision Vamp song too, if that was in this Top 40 instead it may have still been worst song. 

Top 40 Review

In 2003 I was still into rap and R&B and that's what most of the decent records in this chart fall under.

I never thought I'd be giving full marks to a Mariah Carey record, but this reminded me she sang a few lines on "I Know What You Want" by Busta Rhymes. There's also the excellent "X Gon Give It To Ya" by DMX, his biggest hit to date.

There's another R Kelly composition in the chart with "Girlfriend" by B2K. Ashanti has the lead single from her 2nd album "Rock Wit U (Awww Baby)". Justin Timberlake is in there with "Rock Your Body" which I first heard in one of those crappy bars and thought this is great.

It was the year that reggae was making a bit of a comeback in the mainstream and we have "No Letting Go" by Wayne Wonder which was a strong candidate for best song.

Dance music wise the stand out record is "How Did You Know" by Kurtis Mantronix presents Chamonix. Scooter have a typical Scooter tune in "The Night". Perhaps more of a guilty pleasure is "Fly On The Wings Of Love" by XTM & DJ Chucky presents Annia which is actually the only tune mentioned so far that I don't own on CD at all.

Guitar music has more of a presence in this Top 40 including the number one "Bring Me To Life" by Evanescence. Every single one of them gets a zero from me though. Likewise all the generic pop records get a zero from me too.

It's definitely an improvement on 2002 and we're back into double figures.

Score: 11

Table

Despite the improvement, 2003 is still near the bottom and is worse than all the 70s and 80s:



No comments:

Post a Comment