Tuesday 30 November 2021

25 Years Since....November 1996

Time for our penultimate trip back to 1996:


The Sneaker Pimps - Six Underground

My main complaint about music like this at the time was that it was too slow. I did however find myself drawn towards this record though. The backing vocals of "what's up" grabbed my attention. The word "underground" in the title also helped, after all I was a fan of underground music.

The first time I remember thinking yes I like this tune was round a friends house where he had it playing. I can't say for sure whether it was before or after it charted but it's a worthy inclusion and this seems the appropriate point to place it.

Space - Neighbourhood

The concept of this tune was a bit alien to me at the time because my life to date had been living on a street where I knew most people to at least say hello to. This was out in the sticks though, once I moved to a big city I had no idea who anyone was on my street.

It wasn't quite as good as it's predecessor "Me And You Versus The World" but it was still decent enough to make this list.

Alisha's Attic - Alisha Rules The World

When this record came out I was pleased to discover that Alisha's Attic weren't going to be a one hit wonder. To this very day I'm not sure whether I prefer this one or "I Am I Feel" but they both take me back to 1996.

The Divine Comedy - The Frog Princess

We're deep into the era where I was listening to nothing but rave, yet there was music which was as far away from rave as you can get that I found quite good. This is a prime example of this. I think my stance was that it's good but not something I'd go out and buy. Years later I did go out and buy it.


Wildchild - Jump To My Beat

Wildchild is of course best known for "Renegade Master" but he did have another Top 40 hit which was the better one in my opinion. He sadly died a year prior to this hitting the Top 40, but even in the fast moving world of dance music in the 90s this still held it's own in 1996.

No comments:

Post a Comment