Thursday 27 May 2021

UK Charts Best Year Search: 1979

What's this all about?

Top 40

Best Song: Squeeze - Up The Junction

For years I had no idea what this song was. I'd heard it loads of times throughout the 90s and maybe even beyond that. Then one day I found myself wondering what is that song? I wasn't really hearing it any more and assumed it was a 90s song that had got a bit old. I couldn't remember any of the words so I had nothing to go on really. Then one day I turned on the music channels and there was this video playing. I was excited to finally find out what it was. I could tell from the video that it was more likely to be from the 70s, then at the end of the song all was revealed. The fact I thought it was a 90s song for years though shows this really was ahead of its time.

Worst Song: The Dooleys - Wanted

The biggest hit for The Dooleys, who were basically a poundland Abba and I don't like Abba.

Top 40 Review

This Top 40 was shortly before Disco Demolition Night. That was in America though, over here it was still the dominant genre in the charts. The best of those would have to be "Good Times" by Chic. Also getting the thumbs up is "Space Bass" by Slick. The rest of the disco records are either average or crap.

Add punk and new wave to the disco hits and we have accounted for almost half the Top 40. John Lydon was long gone from The Sex Pistols and Sid Vicious was dead, but they were in the Top 40 with a cover of "C'mon Everybody". Meanwhile, John Lydon's new band Public Image Ltd are in there with the quite ironically titled "Death Disco". The only punk or new wave record I don't like is "Say When" by Lene Lovich which I find rather irritating, but its full marks for the rest of them.

Electric Light Orchestra once again have a great record in "Shine A Little Love". Roxy Music, another 70s band you can always rely on for a good record are also in there with "Dance Away". Both of these were strong contenders for best song.

One of the more obscure records that I like is "Chuck E's In Love" by Rickie Lee Jones. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't heard it already.

The surprise good record comes from The Beach Boys with "Lady Lynda". I have nothing against The Beach Boys, they have some decent records. However they were a 60s group and this was the late 70s and I vaguely knew the song and it had little impact on me. Listening to it properly though made me realise I like it.

The number one record "Are 'Friends' Electric" by Tubeway Army is a sign the 80s are just round the corner. 

Overall this chart seems a lot better than the rest of the 70s. I think realistically you're still going to get crap in the charts and this is no exception. But for once, the good stuff outweighs the crap, just.

Score: 20.5

Table

1979 is the best year of the decade and second best so far. I wonder if 1989 will be the best year of the 80s:







No comments:

Post a Comment