Thursday 6 May 2021

UK Charts Best Year Search: 1976

What's this all about?

Top 40

Best Song: Bryan Ferry - Let's Stick Together

I've liked this record since Now 13 came out in 1988 on which this appears after it re-entered the charts. Later on in life when I discovered Bryan Ferry was part of Roxy Music and saw the video to "Jealous Guy" I thought Bryan Ferry looked older than he does in this video. Years later I discovered that was because he was older, this originally came out in 1976. 

Worst Song: Brotherhood Of Man - My Sweet Rosalie

Brotherhood Of Man's best known hit "Save Your Kisses For Me" is one of the most annoying songs ever written. Yet they've managed to follow up with a song that's even worse. I remember watching this on a Top of the Pops rerun and finding it cringeworthily bad. 

Top 40 Review

We're now in the year that's regarded by many as the worst year for music in history. That honour at the moment goes to 1962, but is 1976 really that bad?

Let's begin with the positives. The number one record "You To Me Are Everything" is a good record and no doubt the best number one of the year. Staying with soul music, we also have "Midnight Train To Georgia" by Gladys Knight And The Pips which came close to being best song and "Kiss And Say Goodbye" by The Manhattans, a great record.

We have "The Boys Are Back In Town" by Thin Lizzy which I've liked since I was a kid not realising quite how old it was at the time. There's "Show Me The Way" by Peter Frampton, love the sound effects on that one. From Queen we have the John Deacon penned "You're My Best Friend" which is definitely amongst their better hits.

Beyond that, I'm struggling. Some records are OK but many are crap. Disco music has reached the point where everyone's jumping on the bandwagon such as Wings and Mud. Then there's loads of generic rubbish that's either irritating or lacks substance.

I'd say 1976 is waiting for punk in the same was as 1962 was waiting for The Beatles. The difference though is that music in general has evolved allowing for more good records to hit the charts in 1976 than perhaps there was in 1972. As such, we have a much improved score over 1962, but not a great one.

Score: 12.5

Table

1976 is tied with 1974, I'm expecting a much better 1977:





No comments:

Post a Comment