Sunday 16 May 2021

Top 30 in 1991 Reviewed - Week 20

Here's my weekly look at the Top 30 from 30 years ago. The plan is for these posts to go out at 17:30 on a Sunday.

Here is the Top 40 in full.

Obviously some of the records will be the same as last week so therefore the review will be the same for these. I've indicated which ones are new so you can skip the others if you read last weeks post.

Once again my opinions are inevitably going to differ from other people, but I'm not trying to convince anyone something is good or rubbish, I'm simply giving my opinion.

So this is the top 30 from this week in 1991 with my verdict on each record:

30. Samantha Janus - A Message To Your Heart

It's Mandy from Game On represented the UK at the Eurovision Song Contest before she became Mandy from Game On. A Eurovision song sung by someone who's better known as an actress should be shit, and it is.

Verdict - Rubbish


29. Wilson Phillips - You're In Love (New)

In the UK most people forgot about Wilson Phillips after their debut "Hold On". Their second single didn't make the Top 30 and the third didn't make the Top 40. This is their fourth which was also their third number one in America. It was after this record where people started to forget them over there. 

Verdict - Rubbish


28. Roachford - Get Ready

There was a time when I didn't know Roachford had other hits apart from "Cuddly Toy". I have no recollection of this or any other Roachford hits. There were 8 Top 40 hits in total and this was the 3rd. It's not bad but its no "Cuddly Toy".

Verdict - OK


27. Color Me Badd - I Wanna Sex You Up (New)

Like many kids my age, I found it hilarious at the time that there was a song with the word sex in the title. It wasn't the first Top 40 hit to have this, but I guess the way it was used played a part too. I did like it at the time but when I heard it on the music channels for the first time in years I realised it's actually a pretty poor record.

Verdict - Rubbish


26. Amy Grant - Baby Baby (New)

This was another song I played a lot when I started using YouTube. I loved this record at the time and I loved Amy Grant too. I had no idea she was a Christian singer who was controversially crossing over to pop music. It seemed such an innocent song.

Verdict - Good

25. Jason Donovan - RSVP (New)

I think we've reached the point here where Jason Donovan had released basically the same song multiple times. I would be his penultimate Stock Aitken & Waterman hit and his final one to be written by them.

Verdict - Rubbish

24. The Waterboys - The Whole Of The Moon

This originally came out in 1985 but was rereleased in 1991 ahead of their upcoming greatest hits album and ended up being their biggest hit. This is one of those records I've heard plenty of times without really taking any notice, but listening to it just now I realise that I quite like it.

Verdict - Good


23. Michael Bolton - Love Is A Wonderful Thing

If you read the Wikipedia page for this record the bulk of it is about how Michael Bolton was successfully sued by the Isley Brothers for ripping off their song of the same title. I've heard the Isley Brothers song, the way the title is sung is quite similar but other than that they sound nothing like each other. Although Michael Bolton is a perfectly good singer, it does sound a bit like a karaoke version of a Motown record.

Verdict - Rubbish


22. Quadrophonia - Quadrophonia

Technotronic had been flying the flag for Belgium in the UK charts throughout 1990 but despite their name it's not really techno music. Fellow Belgians Quadrophonia were techno music though and this was their 1st of 2 Top 40 hits, though the 2nd won't be featuring as it only made 40. This is a classic that hasn't fallen victim to anthem bashing so great to hear.

Verdict - Good


21. Dannii Minogue - Success (New)

It seems a bit premature to called your 2nd single "Success". But then I suppose she had already had success as an actress on Home & Away and was confident of following in the footsteps of other Australian soap stars. It didn't successfully make it into the Top 10 though.

Verdict - Rubbish


20. New Kids On The Block - Call It What You Want (New)

Here's New Kids On The Block going down the dance music route with this C&C Music Factory produced effort. Once again it fails to make the Top 10 over here and fails to chart at all in America.

Verdict - Rubbish


19. James - Sit Down

At the time I thought the band Hello James had shortened their name to just James. Turns out I was thinking of Halo James who were a completely different band. This is one of those records everybody seems to like except me. To me it manages to be both annoying and boring at the same time.

Verdict - Rubbish


18. Frances Nero - Footsteps Following Me

This is the only Top 40 hit from Ian Levine's Motorcity records. The label had a number of former Motown artists signed to it. Frances Nero was one of these, but she never had a hit when she was on Motown. It's a fantastic record, one of my favourites of the year.

Verdict - Good

17. Nomad - Just A Groove

The 2nd and final Top 40 hit for Nomad which isn't anywhere near as well known as the first. That does mean it hasn't been played to death in the last 30 years. Although still a dance record it does sound different to it's predecessor which bucks the trend of having a follow up that sounds the same as the debut. 

Verdict - Good


16. De La Soul - Ring Ring Ring (Ha Ha Hey)

This sample made such an impact that few seem to remember it was originally sung by Curiosity Killed the Cat around 18 months earlier. It would be the last Top 10 hit for De La Soul, but that doesn't really surprise me as I know De La Soul more for their albums than singles. 

Verdict - Good


15. Vic Reeves And The Roman Numerals - Born Free

This one completely passed me by at the time as I have no recollection of Vic Reeves as a singer until he did "Dizzy" later on in the year. Put it this way, I can understand why "Dizzy" got to number one but this didn't.

Verdict - Rubbish

14. T-99 - Anasthasia

I don't know whether it's intentional or not but the intro to this reminds me of "3 Blind Mice". Then it just goes crazy. It perhaps doesn't sound that hardcore now but in 1991 it definitely did. It was the first of 2 Top 40 hits for Belgian T-99 but will be the only one to feature as the follow up "Nocturne" only made 33. Both great records.

Verdict - Good


13. Seal - Future Love (EP)

The lead song from this ep is "Future Love Paradise". It partly reminds me of 1991 and partly reminds me of driving along the M3 which I did whilst listening to Seals album a few years ago. As you've probably gathered, I like it.

Verdict - Good


12. Roxette - Fading Like A Flower

I'd forgot about this one until the Dancing DJs did a version back in 2005. I liked that version but it also made me grow fond of the original. In fact if I had to pick my favourite Roxette hit then this would certainly be a contender.

Verdict - Good


11. Chesney Hawkes - The One And Only 

Believe it or not, I've actually seen Chesney Hawkes in concert. He played at the students union at university one Saturday night. The set consisted of a bunch of covers, then he announced he was going to play his last single, not this one though, one that never made the charts. After a few more covers he played this at the end of the set to a massive cheer. It is a bit crap though, but it found it's place at many cheese nights. 

Verdict - Rubbish


10. Soft Cell ft Marc Almond - Tainted Love (New)

Nearly a decade after topping the charts, "Tainted Love" was remixed and re-entered the charts in 1991. It's also now credited to Soft Cell ft Marc Almond, presumably to illustrate that Marc Almond was no longer part of Soft Cell. It doesn't sound very different from the version that was originally released, but its not a bad record I guess.

Verdict - OK


9. Electronic - Get The Message

This was the 2nd Top 40 hit for Electronic and their first Top 10. I find it ironic that Bernard Sumner would call his side project Electronic when this song seems much less electronic than your average New Order song. But its good to hear something a bit different rather than a New Order mark 2.

Verdict - Good


8. Blur - There's No Other Way

The Top 40 debut for Blur. I think this was one of those songs I knew without knowing who it was, I certainly never made the connection when I first came across them as a band a couple of years later. It very much sounds like a Madchester song by someone that doesn't come from Manchester, just doesn't quite live up to it in my opinion.

Verdict - OK


7. Zucchero ft Paul Young - Senza Una Donna (Without A Woman)

I originally thought they were singing "sense of Madonna". It was the Top 40 debut for Zucchero and the final Top 10 hit for Paul Young. This was originally by Zucchero on his own and all in Italian. I regarded this as music for old people at the time, but now I'm probably as old as these old people were back then so I have no shame in liking it.

Verdict - Good


6. Beverley Craven - Promise Me

This was the Top 40 debut for Beverley Craven. One thing I am thankful to this song for was providing the sample to the rave classic "4am" by Orca. Unfortunately that's the only positive thing I can say about this record.

Verdict - Rubbish


5. Cathy Dennis - Touch Me (All Night Long)

The first solo Top 40 hit for Cathy Dennis. Maybe its my age, but to me there's something a lot more acceptable about pop music from this era than there was at the end of the decade. Cathy Dennis is a prime example of this even though by the end of the decade she was writing songs for the likes of S Club 7. The ironic thing of Cathy Dennis going on to become a successful songwriter for others is that her solo debut was a cover.

Verdict - Good


4. Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark - Sailing On The Seven Seas

This was the first OMD record to hit the Top 40 for 5 years. By now it was just Andy McCluskey on his own. On paper this should be 80s band trying to squeeze the last bit of life out of them in the 90s, but this was actually their joint highest charting hit. At the same time, because their last hit prior this came before my music memories began, I had no idea they were even around in the 80s at the time. 

Verdict - Good


3. Crystal Waters - Gypsy Woman (La Da Dee) (New)

I think I know why I've always though Alison Limerick is American now. It's because I heavily associate "Where Love Lives" with this record, and Crystal Waters is American. Much like the Alison Limerick record, this has fallen victim to being overplayed but still a decent record.

Verdict - Good


2. KLF ft The Children Of The Revolution - Last Train To Trancentral

One thing I've realised whilst doing these reviews is that I lot of the music I listened to on YouTube when I first discovered it was from 1991. This was one of those tunes I'd regularly listen to. I've always liked it, but when I was listening on YouTube all those years later I realised just how good this tune really is. If I had to pick my favourite KLF single then this would probably be it.

Verdict - Good


1. Cher - The Shoop Shoop Song (It's In His Kiss)

The most recent Top 40 hit for Cher prior to this was "Just Like Jesse James", a song I liked. Therefore my impression of Cher at the time was quite positive. Then this came out and I thought what the fuck is this. It's a cover and I'm not overly keen on the original but it's tolerable. This version just makes me angry though, absolutely awful.

Verdict - Rubbish


If we give the records which were good 1 point each and those which were OK half a point, the final score is 16.5/30, or 55%. After some great new entries a couple of weeks ago, we're now starting to slide.

No comments:

Post a Comment