Thursday 31 December 2020

25 Years Since....December 1995

Time for our final trip back to 1995 to see what tunes I was enjoying at the time:


Saint Etienne - He's On The Phone
 
This may sound quite surprising, but I don't think I'd heard of Saint Etienne until this record. No idea why they'd passed me by, though this was their highest charting record to date narrowly missing out on the Top 10.

Aside from Sarah Cracknell's solo hit the following year I more or less forgot about them until the year 2000 when I saw their greatest hits album "Too Young To Die" in Our Price, remembered how much I liked this record and bought it.

Blur - The Universal


You may recall most, if not all of Blurs 1994 hits appeared in this feature before I got into rave. Then came the Blur vs Oasis battle in 1995 where I declared both songs were crap and I do genuinely think "Country House" is crap as are most of the Blur singles that followed.

However, although I wouldn't admit it at the time I've always liked this particular record. Maybe the fact I'd gone off guitars by this point and it isn't a guitar driven song.

Prince - Gold


When Prince made a good record, it would be a really great record and this is one of those. This was actually his last original hit to make the Top 10.

Despite this record being almost 6 minute long, I can't help but find it too short. It's one of those record I just want to go on and on. 



Molella ft The Outhere Brothers - If You Wanna Party


The last Top 10 hit for Outhere Brothers. They would have one further Top 40 hit a couple of years later when everyone had forgot about them.

I think the Outhere Brothers were very much of their time. They had a hugely successful year in 1995 but if they were around in any other year I'm not sure it would have worked. The fact their debut album actually came out in 1994 pretty much backs that up.


The Mike Flowers Pops - Wonderwall


I was listening to the Chris Evans breakfast show when this was given its Radio 1 debut. He said that "Wonderwall" was a cover of a 60s record and here's the original.

It became apparent soon afterwards that he was taking the piss, it was really a cover of "Wonderwall" made to sound like it's from the 60s. Much better than the original in my opinion, but I'm not sure if I would have liked it had it not been a piss take.

Noel Gallagher has since been asked whether he likes this version, to which he answered that he liked the money he made from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment