Thursday 2 July 2020

25 Years Since....June 1995

I'm a bit late this month, or should I say last month. Here's the best of June 1995 from my 1995 self:

Westbam - Wizards Of The Sonic


We begin with some more German rave music after Mark'Oh featured last month. I was still learning about all things rave and probably still thought much of it was from Germany.

It wouldn't have been too long before I learned of Holland being arguably the biggest country in terms of rave popularity with the likes of Paul Elstak and Charly Lownoise & Mental Theo who were massive in Holland but never had a Top 40 hit here.


Baby D - I Need Your Loving (Everybody's Got To Learn Sometime)


Being aware by this point that Baby D are considered rave, a question I did ask at the time was whether Baby D were German?

The answer is no, they're British. In fact I hear that the singer from Baby D lives not too far away from me in London.

I heard this before the original version by Korgis. There are loads of dance versions of this record but I've also grown a fondness for the original in recent years, especially when Erol Alkan played it at the end of his Bugged In set that I saw him play last year.


Pizzaman - Sex On The Streets


One thing I was yet to learn as a raver is that you weren't supposed to like house music because it was too slow. Once I did learn that I do remember criticising Pizzaman for being house music.

Before that though I loved this record by Pizzaman. I got the impression Pizzaman was Italian at the time for obvious reasons, but he is actually one of the many aliases of Norman Cook before he became Fatboy Slim.


East 17 - Hold My Body Tight


Whether I was a grunger or a raver or something else, I would still love a bit of East 17 even if I might not have admitted it at the time.

This was the last single from the "Steam" album. I once sang this in a karaoke competition, which was basically a karaoke night where whatever song you sang was part of the competition. It was the first time I'd ever sang it at karaoke and when it came to the rap I did find myself struggling somewhat towards the end. Let's face it, Tony Mortimer isn't the best rapper and rapping along to him should be a piece of cake. However, years later I was watching a video of this and discovered the latter part of the rap is done by Terry Coldwell who actually can rap. If you don't believe me, try rapping along to this where Terry Coldwell takes lead vocal.

If you're wondering, no I didn't win the karaoke competition.

Whigfield - Think Of You

First came "Saturday Night" which is where the Whigfield story ends for most people. Then came "Another Day" which was basically "Saturday Night" with different lyrics. What came next though was this record, which I actually quite liked.

For those who do remember it, they are most likely to remember it for the line "I need you inside me tonight".

I'm not going to pretend this is anything other than cheesy Eurodance music, but it's fun to listen to and I still listen to it of my own accord today.

No comments:

Post a Comment