Friday 31 July 2020

25 Years Since....July 1995

It's that time again to turn back the clock 25 years and look at the tunes I was enjoying:

Asha - JJ Tribute


This is my teenage self being the rebellious teenager I was, listening to modern rave music that had no history that old people could relate to. What I didn't realise was that this was a remix of a 5 year old tune and the "JJ" in the title stood for Janis Joplin, a singer who died 25 years prior to this.

Asha was an Italian project from the piano house era and this samples "Ball and Chain" by Janis Joplin. I think in part to do with the fact I didn't hear the 1990 version until many years later that I prefer this version.


The Outhere Brothers - Boom Boom Boom


We were now in an era where grungers were moving onto other things. I'd already moved on by this point but one example that springs to mind is of a girl from school who was pretty much the only girl not into Take That. She was a grunger, but by now she declared herself no longer a grunger because she liked rave as well, but above everything she liked the Outhere Brothers.

I preferred rave myself, but still loved this tune. Again like it's predecessor it has a more explicit version that some people didn't believe existed. As you might expect, it's the explicit version I've posted.


Jamiroquai - Stillness In Time


There was one grunger who was moving onto other things but seemed somewhat in denial. He was one of the first people amongst my peers to get into grunge and introduce the hot new acts. Around this time he introduced people to Jamiroquai as some so called grunge friendly music, but people just laughed at him.

I was one of the people who laughed, but more because I already knew who Jamiroquai were and they were nothing like grunge music. Which was a good thing really because I didn't want to listen to anything grunge related anymore. To be fair though, Jamiroquai are one of those groups who the dance and rock crowds can agree on.


Liquid - Sweet Harmony


This originally charted in 1992 but entered the charts again in 1995 and was one that I owned on cassette single.

Around the same time there was a happy hardcore record called "Techno Harmony" by SY and Unknown that was doing the rounds on the rave circuit that used the same samples.

A few years later I bought a Helter Skelter tapepack which was the first one I owned where Ratpack started doing old skool sets there and this was the first tune they played. It was great hearing this amongst several other old skool tunes from the early 90s again. Unfortunately it became apparent a couple of tapepacks later that Ratpack play pretty much the same set every time.


Dubstar - Stars

I have mixed emotions on hearing this record for the first time. I heard on the radio that Dubstar were coming up which made me look forward to hearing a bit of Drum & Bass. Then it got played and it wasn't Drum & Bass at all.

I was getting Dubstar mixed up with Dubster, who had a tune called "Retreat" on a Drum & Bass compilation I had. That said, when I heard it I quite liked it and subsequent Dubstar tunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment