Friday 3 January 2020

End of Top 20 from 20 Years Ago

Back in 2016 I decided to test the theory of whether the charts were better in "my day". Whilst the answer to this question for most people is inevitably "yes", we do conveniently forget there was still a load of rubbish about back then.

To test the theory I decided to pick a Top 20 from "my day" and picked the equivalent week 20 years prior in 1996. I did this again in 2018 and 2019 and following the 2019 one I decided to make it a weekly occurrence. It brought back memories of the good and bad but also introduced me to tunes I have no recollection of.

One thing you may have noticed is that as we get towards the end of 1999, the tunes I deem to be rubbish are taking over. As I've already lived through what happens next, I'm pretty sure this never gets any better. I do remember looking at the Top 40 in the early 00s and finding there would typically be 4 records I liked in the Top 40 at any given point, that leaves a lot of crap I'd need to listen through if I was to continue, and I've probably heard the good stuff enough times anyway.

By the time we get to the mid-00s there was very little in the Top 40 I liked and I don't think we could consider it to be "my day" anymore.

I could carry this only for a couple more years, but that would get in the way of what I intend to do instead.

Starting this Sunday I'll be reviewing the Top 30 from 30 years ago which means I'll be looking at the first week of the 90s, my decade.

No comments:

Post a Comment