Thursday 19 December 2019

Top of the Pops: 19/12/2019 (The Final Episiode)

It was 3 years ago that I gave my reasons for why Top of the Pops shouldn't come back. Aside from the usual arguments about the music being rubbish, the kids of today don't watch TV etc, the point I made was that there wasn't enough new entries in the Top 40 to have enough songs that fit the Top of the Pops eligibility criteria.

This lead to a weekly post about what would likely be on Top of the Pops if it still existed and would answer the question of whether there were enough eligible records.

After 3 years I think now is the time to bring this unofficial Top of the Pops to a close. I think I've made my point, but the point isn't as valid now. In 2016 we had the lowest number of new entries for a year in Top 40 history by quite some distance. The years that followed still do lack the quantity we've been used to in the years prior, but they are on a par with the late 60s/early 70s when Top of the Pops did exist.

The blog views also tell me there isn't much interest in these Top of the Pops posts, so I ask myself is it really worth going through the pain of listening to every new entry every week to get the YouTube links on here? Probably not.

As we have actual Top of the Pops for Christmas next week and for New Year the week after, and then we're into a new decade, now would be a good time to stop and come up with something new for the 20s. More on that when the new decade arrives.

In the meantime, here is the final episode:

What's this all about?

Top 40 Countdown

Number of eligible records: 2
New (11) Harry Styles - Adore You
(1) Tones & I - Dance Monkey

Missing Out
None

No comments:

Post a Comment