Monday 25 February 2019

Record of the Year 2011: Martin Solveig - Hello


Around the end of April 2011 me and some friends were in a taxi when this came on the radio. I said that it was the only commercial record of the year to date that I actually liked. After listening to several 2011 hits when doing my research, I've concluded this is as good as it gets.

A bit like some of the EDM records coming out towards the end of 2010, this was a bit cheesy but I quite enjoyed it. Even cheesier was the video, where Martin Solveig plays a tennis match at Roland Garros against fellow French DJ Bob Sinclar, giving their DJ Mag rankings at the start of the match and featuring appearances from tennis players Novak Djokovic and Gael Monfils. A longer version of the video exists which shows the two DJs preparing for the match.

One could see this is a good illustration of where Dance Music went wrong with the DJ rankings and celebrity appearances etc, but take all the nonsense away it's an enjoyable tune. The reality is that by 2011 a mass underground following of a Dance record wasn't enough to get it in the charts, so commercial EDM is pretty much all you're going to get.

I could have picked a record from another genre, but 99% of the other tunes were rubbish in my opinion and the other 1% were candidates but I didn't think they were quite as good as this.

No comments:

Post a Comment