Monday 4 February 2019

Record of the Year 2010: Tim Berg - Seek Bromance


At the beginning of 2010 I decided to test my hypothesis of the charts being full of rubbish. Each week I would listen to the new entries of the Top 40 on YouTube to see if I liked any of it. A few weeks into the year there was literally nothing I liked. The Dance music, or EDM as it was now better known was particularly bad and eventually I lost the will to live and gave up.

However towards the end of the year there were 3 commercial Dance records that were taking my liking, this my record of the year, "I'm In Love (I Wanna Do It)" by Alex Gaudino and the Axwell remix of "In the Air" by TV Rock. As the latter failed to reach the Top 40 it was between this and Alex Gaudino and I decided this was slightly better.

It began life as an instrumental called "Bromance" which in my opinion was better. However as vocals had now seemingly become a necessity for commercial success, the vocals to "Love U Seek" by Samuele Sartini were added to create "Seek Bromance".

This would be his only UK Top 40 hit as Tim Berg but he would go on to be better known as Avicii, one of the biggest EDM DJs of the modern era. It certainly made me feel old when I saw he was born in 1989. After retiring and then making a comeback, he sadly died in 2018. Whilst the tunes he made as Avicii weren't really my cup of tea I've always been fond of this record.

No comments:

Post a Comment