Friday 1 February 2019

25 Years Since....January 1994

Now we're 25 years since 1994, here are some of the records I was enjoying back then:

K7 - Come Baby Come


This was a record I would have put under the guilty pleasures category.

I was still very much in my Grunge phase at the beginning of 1994 but secretly I loved the chorus of this record.

Bitty Mclean - Here I Stand


It wasn't until later on in life until I realised this record was by Bitty Mclean of "if it's raining it's raining" fame.

Given his other two top ten hits were covers I assumed this to be a cover too, particularly as the same riff was used in "Come On Home" by Cyndi Lauper.

Turns our Cyndi Lauper sampled this very tune.

Inspiral Carpets - Saturn 5


What's this? Inspiral Carpets in 1994?

My memory tells me that Inspiral Carpets were finished by 1992, but at the same time I remember this tune and remember liking it but could have sworn this was more 1992 than 1994, but it was in fact 1994.


Soul Asylum - Black Gold


You may recall that when I featured "Runaway Train" a few months ago in this feature I said that I forgot about Soul Asylum until Glastonbury 1995.

It's true, but I remember this tune and remember liking it without actually knowing what it was.

It probably has more credibility as far as Grungers were concerned than "Runaway Train" but it's still not quite Grunge, which is probably a good thing.

Therapy? - Nowhere

Yet another Therapy? single before their "Troublegum" album came out.

This is one of my favourite tunes from that album. Some of the purists said that Therapy? were too Punky and I can see where they're coming from with this song.

However that's probably why I was still fond of this song many years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment