Monday 19 March 2018

Record of the Year 1997: Adam F - Circles


As you could imagine, there were a lot of records to choose from in 1997 and many candidates but in the end I've gone for "Circles" by Adam F.

I first heard this as a raver in 1995, I can't remember when exactly but I had it on several tape packs and always had it down as one of the better Drum & Bass records of the time.

I do however specifically remember being on my high horse at knowing Drum & Bass records and DJs that the general public didn't know and I was listening to my Fabio tape from Helter Skelter Odyssey in 1996 on my Walkman which opened with this track. I gave someone the other ear to listen to it, someone who'd never heard this record and never heard of Fabio.

Needless to say that a year or so later when I heard this get to the charts I wasn't happy. Furthermore at the start of 1998 Fabio started doing a Radio 1 show with Grooverider.

What I didn't know at the time was that Adam F is the son of Alvin Stardust. A few years later he'd moved on to Hip Hop which included a collaboration with Redman in 2001 with "Smash Somethin" but has continued to make music across different genres.

No comments:

Post a Comment